Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
After my recent encounter with the law ticket post
I've decided I need to know how fast I am going.

This happened a while back, but when it stopped workin I think the speedo started buzzing and the needle went all of the way around and hasn't worked since. blink.gif

What would that mean? Do I need a new gauge, or has something else failed?
type47
Used gauges are cheap enough, probably cheaper than repairing the old one. North Hollywood ..... Speedometer (?) and Palo Alto speedo are companies that probably could repair/restore your gauge.
ripper911
So it sounds like it's the gauge itself. confused24.gif

I am looking at a used set if I need it. humpy.gif
jjbunn
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 1 2010, 07:04 AM) *

So it sounds like it's the gauge itself. confused24.gif

I am looking at a used set if I need it. humpy.gif

You can check it quickly by removing it from the car and using a hand drill (in reverse) to spin the mechanism. If the needle doesn't move then you could open it up and see what the damage is.
underthetire
Orr buy a cheapo gps unit biggrin.gif
bandjoey
GPS on your phone or download a a speedo app?
I've got 3 speedo's you can pick from. $50 each shipped. They all work but I can't guarantee how accurate they are. Also if you aren't running stock tire sizes, the speedo will be off a %.
jsayre914
if it is the cable, be careful the speedo cables come in differnt lengths. make sure you order the right one.

ask me how i know chair.gif

it could also be the speedo angle drive. i have had two break on me so far. And i cant remember the last time i had a working speedo smile.gif
ArtechnikA
If the odometer works, the angle drive and cable are fine.
The trip odometer is separate and frequently fails all by itself, but if it's working, the angle drive and the cable are fine.
ripper911
Odometer not working either. dry.gif

I was hoping that the speed o' meter going all the way around then failing would point to a specific cause. poke.gif

Guess I'll have to do some investegating.
smash.gif
Tom_T
IIRC Performance Products/Automotion & maybe some others sell replacement gears for inside the speedo, if it's bad & if you want to try to rebuild/replace yourself.
Cap'n Krusty
You can do it cheap, you can do it right, but you can't do it cheap and right. In this case, it's not likely to be the usual odo drive gears, and taking it apart is gonna be waste of time, IMO. Buying a used one is gonna just postpone the inevitable. I suggest you just have it fixed.

The Cap'n
bugsy0
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 2 2010, 11:51 AM) *

You can do it cheap, you can do it right, but you can't do it cheap and right. In this case, it's not likely to be the usual odo drive gears, and taking it apart is gonna be waste of time, IMO. Buying a used one is gonna just postpone the inevitable. I suggest you just have it fixed.

The Cap'n

agree.gif good advice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.