Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hit and Run driver question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
A little background...
When my wife and I returned from walking around a car show in AG CA, I was bummed to find a newer BMW slammed into the rear of my parked 914. sad.gif I had parked the 914 what looked like a safe spot in a resedential neighborhood...yeah right.

When I arrived at my car the lady from the house in front of where I parked my 914 came out and said she saw everything. She was literally standing next to the 914 talking on a cell phone to her son who was interested in buying it (no it's not for sale). She said a big non descript box truck rounded the corner and took out the corner of this nice BMW slamming it forward a good 6 six feet into my 914. The driver got out wrote a note written on a Chase Bank deposit envelope, left it on the BMW, and told the lady he couldn't stay because he was late to work.

The police arrived minutes after when I arrived as well as the BMW owner. To no suprise the note appears to be bogus, at least the phone number was bogus. The lady didn't get the license number.

Questions...
I have JC Taylor antique auto full coverage, but haven't called them yet and the BMW owner has Farmers. Since this will probably all go down as a "hit and run" according to the Police,
I am wondering what I may expect from my insurance co? I don't have my policy with me since I"m on vacation.
I assume this will be treated as an "uninsured motorist" claim with my insurance co. Does deductibles usually apply with type of claim?
Should I expect any type of compensation from the BMW's insurance since technically his car hit mine?

The damage to the rear and front of the BMW will run into the thousands. I was fortunate that it appears my damage was limiited to the newly rechromed bumper and license plate area. My car looked like it avoided major damage since it was able to slide forward (no car in front of me). The bumper doesn't look repairable to the quality it first was.

I don't want to post any pics until I resolve this with the insurance...just a before pic of the condition of the bumper.IPB Image
ConeDodger
I am only beginning to understand the intricacies of property and causualty insurance because my wife is an independent agent. BMW files an uninsured motorist claim while you file a claim against the BMW's policy.
Als914

Sorry to hear of your plight. My understanding is the person at the rear causing the accident sheeplove.gif is at fault, always , in Ca. So I believe you have two issues 1) a hit and run driver and 2) an un-insured motorist claim for both you and the BMW owner.
Ca. law says that you must be in control of your vehicle at all times. Example: If the traffic suddenly stops in front of me and I hit the car in front of me, it hits a car in front of him and so on, their insurances would all file a claim against my insurance as the "at fault driver."

Hope it all works out for you and the Beemer owner.
bandjoey
You file on the BMW. Possible transmission problems, possible motor slid forward on the mounts. Need to get measurements on the body. Hopefully, no damage, but a good 914 shop needs to give it the one over. agree.gif
jim_hoyland
Hope your car wasn't damaged, I've recently seen two local 914's hit by cars backing up. Scary stuff, I can see where those big rubber bumpers can save the day, at least up to 5 mph.

jcd914
In 2003 I was hit by a pick up that then fled.
My insurance would not cover my car under my "uninsured" coverage because there was no proof he was uninsured! With a Hit and Run you maybe stuck with your comprehensive or maybe the BMW owners comprehensive coverage.
My insurance covered all the medical involve for my son and I but since I had no comprehensive on the Passat I lost out on it.

Good Luck

Jim
Tom_T
With the CA "no fault" insurance, as long as this occurred in CA (not sure what "AG CA" means) - you call your insurance co. with the pertinent info. on the BMW, bogus truck info & description, police report (if any), & eye witness info. - then your insurance co. goes after the appropriate parties & you get yours fixed.

However, you need to report it pretty quickly under state law - whether at fault or not, so call your agent asap.

When a gal clipped my BMW 325e a few years back, they waived the deductible once she was determined at fault, which is what they're supposed to do if there is an at fault party. I'm not sure if that would be considered under your collision or comprehensive coverage, but if the deductible is the same for both, then it won't matter to you.

Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 1 2010, 12:19 PM) *

You file on the BMW. Possible transmission problems, possible motor slid forward on the mounts. Need to get measurements on the body. Hopefully, no damage, but a good 914 shop needs to give it the one over. agree.gif

Not so in CA - we're a "No Fault" insurance state, so you always report to your own insurance company & they sort it out.
Drums66
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 1 2010, 12:19 PM) *

...Could be all kind's of unseen damage!.....and spread the word always get
the license plate # first and formost thumb3d.gif ...you do have a valid claim. idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
zx-niner
Can't offer any special insights on insurance claims but, man, that is awful. I assume it was your V-8, not the automatic, given the pristine condition of that "before" bumper. Sorry to hear, Mark.
computers4kids
Yes a police report was taken. By the time the report was done, it looked like a carnival around our cars...at least 5 officers showed.

Incident was in Arroyo Grande, CA, at a car show.
Called my insurance today and reported the accident and gave them the police report number, BMW owner info and insurance. JC Taylor said an adjuster would be contacting me...so will see where this all goes.

Just had the bumper re-chromed and a new bumper top...I imagine they will be asking for estimates. It's been so long since I've been involved in an accident...we use to have to get three estimates...not sure if that's still the case.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.