Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine shelf seal channel removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
My car had A/C so the shelf was cut in two places and bent back to make room for the A/C compressor. The shelf itself bent back fine and I welded up the two cuts. The channel is too rusty and smashed up to salvage. What's the best way to remove the channel without damaging the shelf. The spot welds are too small to even see. It looks to me like I'm going to have to bend and separate as much of the channel from the shelf as possible, cut those pieces out, then grind the shelf flange flat. I'm sure someone has been through this, what worked for you?
Thanks.
Bob
JRust
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Aug 1 2010, 10:53 AM) *

My car had A/C so the shelf was cut in two places and bent back to make room for the A/C compressor. The shelf itself bent back fine and I welded up the two cuts. The channel is too rusty and smashed up to salvage. What's the best way to remove the channel without damaging the shelf. The spot welds are too small to even see. It looks to me like I'm going to have to bend and separate as much of the channel from the shelf as possible, cut those pieces out, then grind the shelf flange flat. I'm sure someone has been through this, what worked for you?
Thanks.
Bob

I was able to use a nice sharp chisel on most. Just one pop with a hammer from up top took 75% of them off no problem. The few that were harder I just worked carefully with the chissel. One of them I had to drill out but the rest came off fine. Just take your time & don't force the issue
realred914
grind away the rail that you are removing, it is trashed anyway. just use an angle grinder and go for it, take down the rail where you tink the welds are, then seperate it with a chissel, do just enough grinding to not breka thru to the good metal you want to save. dont drill out teh spots wleds as that will leave holes in teh good part also.

using the grinder is the best way to remove the part since it is destroyed anyway. I'd only drill out the welds if I was trying to save both parts.

have fun
jaxdream
I don't have pics of mine , I spliced together a section from a donor to the front part of passenger side hell hole area . I drilled out the spots that had the rail spotwelded to the shelf, no problem , spread the rail , rosette welded it back , ground down the high spots of the welds, very happy with it. If you are not going to save the rail, take a good round wire brush to the rail channel after opening a bit , the brush will clean down to where you can see the spotwelds, grind them down only on the sopts . No need to try and grind the whole channel , drilling wasn't that bad though. Good luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.