Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing Ignition lock from housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motomadness1947
I recently purchased a 191-905-855 lock cylinder for my 74 914 2.0 my problem is I can't figure out how to get the old one out of the cylinder housing that mounts on my steering col. I have removed the housing from the column unpluged the plastic ignition switch but can' figure out how to remove the tumbler cylinder. Can any one help me out.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(motomadness1947 @ Aug 1 2010, 03:34 PM) *

I recently purchased a 191-905-855 lock cylinder for my 74 914 2.0 my problem is I can't figure out how to get the old one out of the cylinder housing that mounts on my steering col. I have removed the housing from the column unpluged the plastic ignition switch but can' figure out how to remove the tumbler cylinder. Can any one help me out.

I was going to do this last weekend but ended up swapping the entire column. There is a tiny little set screw in there that you have to remove( or so I was told )in order for the tumbler to come out. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Shoe
motomadness1947
The only set screw i found was to hold the plastic ignition switch. I can not see one for the tumbler assembly
TheCabinetmaker
Here's several threads on the subject. I'll let you do the reading.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0024083458981...253Aajvfxschcgc
TheCabinetmaker
and here is the google search engine I used.
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...2%3Aajvfxschcgc
motomadness1947
I appreciate the input (sincerely) from the members that gave me more google searches. If I had found what I needed there without going through boo-coos of useless drivel I would not have posted the question on this forum.. I was hoping that someone else had encountered the same problem and could tell me just put the key in X position depress the steering lock clogs and she would fall right out (that was an example not the solution. Anyway long story short I am still trying to figure out how to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. I know it has to be simple I am just not seeing it. I would much rather be working on the car than bothering you all, but if I mess it up it will cost me more than a months budget to replace everything I have ____-up. thank you for your imput
motomadness1947
QUOTE(motomadness1947 @ Aug 1 2010, 12:34 PM) *

[/b]Problem solved: There is a small plunger hole just in front of the steering lock on the cylinder housing that must be depressed (like me most of the time) to remove the lock portion of the ignition switch. It does not look like anything, but if you put a small pointy object in that hole and pull out on the lock unit. Walla. Once I read though three manuals and lots of google information that is the answer short and sweet.
JmuRiz
Quick question, where'd you get your ignition lock? Mine is worn out and I need another one as well, for my 73.

Thanks,
jabberwocky
I did this yesterday on my 75. Took about an hour. from start to driving again.
Pelican has a good article on how to do this but my column was a little different and I had to remove the steering bearings and shaft to get at the screw holding the switch in place. The earlier modes have a two part column makes it a little easier mine was a one piece column.
Pelican also has the parts you will need to order.

ignition article http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tion_switch.htm

switch for your car
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...),%20Each%20%20

have fun
markb
Look in the teck section next time. I have a long writeup on re-keying that tells you how to remove the tumbler. Or look in my sig. If you need parts, call me at the GPR 800 number or PM me. I probably have what you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.