Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission tear down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
Thanks to Dr Evil's transmission DVD I finally got the courage to tear apart the spare transmission I got with my car. Pulled the gear stack but have to order the jig to remove everything else. Have a couple of questions for the experts ....

Are 1st gear slider and dogteeth usable? To me the dogteeth look great but the slider is questionable.
Marlow
The input shaft gear at the intermediate plate (don't know what this gear is called) is chipped on the bearing side on about 8 of the teeth, usable?

Also, is the input shaft bearing pressed into the intermediate plate or just held down by the lip? If I move the end of the input shaft I can see the bearing lip move about 1/32" in the intermediate plate. The bearing looks ok and the brass cage is intact.
Marlow

Reverse gear looks like it was pounded on the top edges of the teeth, guessing from a misadjusted clutch and grinding into reverse. Same for the teeth on 1st gear slider. Reusable?
Mark Henry
Some major grinding into reverse! replace those.
Dog teeth should look like full roof and peak of a house, to me it looks like the" back of the roof is sagging", not good. Get a better pic of the "peaks".

intermediate plate might be fuched...
Marlow
So far reverse and 1st gear slider are trash. I see what you mean about the dogteeth. Can't get a decent close up that isn't blurry but the "peaks" are not flat, they slope down towards the synchro ring. So probably 1st gear dogteeth needed as well.

As for the bearing in the intermediate plate, is it pressed in? I went back out to the garage and wiggled the input shaft around and 1/32" is not accurate, more like there's a tiny perceptible movement of the lip of that bearing. Hoping that's normal and the intermediate plate isn't trash.
jimkelly
i think some would disagree - ( 1st gear slider are trash ) - don't be too hasty to throw anything away. jim
Marlow
I was thinking "trash" because the bottom teeth of 1st gear slider had been beaten pretty well by reverse.

This is my first trans tear down and I'm not familiar with what these parts should look like and what is still usable.
Dr Evil
1st slider is fine. Actually, very good smile.gif Your input shaft bearing is troubling as it looks as if it was spinning in the plate. You said it moves in the plate? That is an instant fail of the plate. You can replace the plate as long as you measure and adjust the shims or gaskets as necessary. Your band is shot, your teeth are ok, but you can do better with a good used set from 2-5.
Marlow
If I grab the end of the input shaft and apply light side-to-side or up-down torque I can see the lip of the bearing move slightly away from the intermediate plate. I originally said it moves 1/32", which is completely inaccurate, it's much less than that. I can't spin the bearing lip by hand though.

Are the chipped teeth on the gear at the end of the input shaft a concern?
Dr Evil
Reverse being hammered like that is normal and not a big deal. Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted and this will not happen.

Spinning bearing is a big FAIL. It should be press fit in.

Chipped 1st teeth are no biggie as 1st is not used for very long and is usually a bit noisy anyway. I would roll with it if it were mine.
Marlow
Just went out to the garage and looked at the bearing lip and it is polished like it has been spinning, good eye Mike! So far the news is good . . . at this point I just need a decent intermediate plate. From the outside all the other dogteeth and sliders look ok, will know more once I get the jig and pull the gears off.

What's the likelihood the bearings will come out of the intermediate plate in one piece?
bugsy0
I too am a recent Dr. Evil DVD purchaser and fan. Some of the best beer money I've spent yet on the car. For comparison, I thought I would add examples of what I consider a "trashed" first/reverse gear slider and dog teeth.

Reverse gear damage due to said clutch maladjustment:
Click to view attachment

Damage to the slider where it engages the dog teeth
Click to view attachment

Dog teeth rounded over. I had a dog that used to chew rocks out of boredom.
Click to view attachment

They appear rounded over and asymmetrical.
Click to view attachment
Marlow
Yikes! Was that a spare tranny or in your car?
bugsy0
Nope - not a spare tranny. I'm going to reassemble this box and just drive it the rest of the summer. Sick of the jack stands. This winter I'll have more $$ and time to work on the trans.
Dr Evil
Yup, what Bugsy posted is definitively badness.
bugsy0
As I finished disk 2 and thought "I can do this", there was a tiny ember of hope in my soul that I would find an easy (low cost) fix... until I saw that the "houses" had been entirely razed off the gear :-( I needed to hear it from the doc, and now I can move forward.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.