Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what size carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben and Ralph
My 1972 1.7L engine has just been rebuilt and bored to 1.8L. I've ripped the fuel injection off and i'm switching to carbs; I was thinking about putting on dual 40 carbs because a little more power would be nice but I don't want horrible fuel economy.
Any suggestions?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Aug 1 2010, 06:33 PM) *

My 1972 1.7L engine has just been rebuilt and bored to 1.8L. I've ripped the fuel injection off and i'm switching to carbs; I was thinking about putting on dual 40 carbs because a little more power would be nice but I don't want horrible fuel economy.
Any suggestions?

Did you change the cam during the rebuild? Otherwise, carbs will give you neither more power nor better fuel economy compared to the stock FI.

If you changed the cam, 40IDF webers are a good choice ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
70_914
I agree on the cam needing changed before the 40's will work for you. 40 is a little large for a 1.8, so you will probably have a throttle tip-in delay. Driveability will be so-so. You may be better off with baby Dells or Solex/Kadron single carbs. They will give you better throttle response and better 'round town driving.

Depends on how big your cam is and how you want to drive the car- 'round town with a mild cam (dual single barrels) driving-girl.gif or wide open with a big cam (dual dual barrels) driving.gif .

You will find that everybody who responds will have their own opinion, carbs vs FI and cam discussion is one of those headbang.gif toppics.
einic
Stock FI will probably give you the best power and driveability. Mixture can be adjusted at the manifold pressure sensor. (Adjustment screw is sealed with epoxy)
VaccaRabite
Tell us more about your engine build. Did you only change the top end?
sean_v8_914
Dellorto 36 DCNF with god cam
stock cam: D-Jet
if you can, bump up the compression to 8.5 or so
early 1.7 at 8.5 to 1 should be good for 86hp
or...$300 gets you a set of 96mm pistons to make a 1911cc
Ben and Ralph
Well I just recently bought this car about 2 months ago; the engine was out of the car and was in horrible condition; when it was taken apart we discovered that a bearing had come loose and destroyed the end of the crank shaft....and so on; well baisically everything but the engine core itself was replaced by good used stock parts including the cam; the only difference is that the engine has been bored to a 1.8L; now I just would like to know what would be the ideal carb system???

Thank you for the suggestions
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Aug 2 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Well I just recently bought this car about 2 months ago; the engine was out of the car and was in horrible condition; when it was taken apart we discovered that a bearing had come loose and destroyed the end of the crank shaft....and so on; well baisically everything but the engine core itself was replaced by good used stock parts including the cam; the only difference is that the engine has been bored to a 1.8L; now I just would like to know what would be the ideal carb system???

Thank you for the suggestions

If it's all stock, you will have to choke down the 40s with some smaller venturis to get enough air-speed or go with some smaller dells instead.

driving.gif Andy
OmaPossu
36 DRLA:s work fine in original 1,7 engine. Pulling strong low rpms and soud great in higher rpms smile.gif . D-jet puls little better in midrange (imho).
VaccaRabite
If it is using the stock cam, you are going to be happier with d-jet injection over carbs. The stock cam does not work very well with carbs.

Zach
Ben and Ralph
Thank you for the suggestions, I think I might go with a smaller set of dual carbs like 36s;

I also need an exhaust system; I would like something a little sportier than a original, that would help the engine breathe a little better; what could be some options?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Aug 2 2010, 12:08 PM) *
I also need an exhaust system; I would like something a little sportier than a original, that would help the engine breathe a little better; what could be some options?

SSI heat exchangers with a Bursch exhaust is a good choice. Anything better than that will cost you real money ...

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.