Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: angle drive? cable? speedo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I can spin my speedometer by hand and move the needle. I have a new cable installed and can drive the speedometer from the far end of the cable with a drill. But when I hook it up to the angle drive it won't spin the speedo.

If I disconnect the speedo and hang the cable below the dash it spins intermittently. I mean while steady-state driving, sometimes the inner wire won't spin at all and other times it will. Why would it spin off-and-on while driving down the highway at 50mph? And if it spins intermittently while disconnected, why wouldn't the speedo needle move intermittently when connected?

I've dug through a bunch of old posts on the angle drive, but none really mention anything about intermittency. The intermittency sounds more like a cable, but the cable runs fine from the drill, albiet w/ some bouncing. I'd rather not buy an angle drive unless I'm sure that's the problem, but I'd also prefer not to buy another cable either!

what do you say, angle drive or cable?
70_914
Have you taken the angle drive out and inspected the drive gear teeth? I am betting on angle drive/drive gear teeth problems.
RJMII
agree.gif

I say angle drive. smile.gif
bradtho
And the verdict is...

angle drive. I pulled it out last nite and 2 pieces fell out on the ground.
70_914
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I only have 1 that is not broken in half, so I can't help you out...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.