Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oe-style muffler options for early valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bradtho
My muffler and tail pipe are completely shot. The problem is that I have the early rear valance with the hole in it (not the notch). I'd like to keep my car as original as possible and was going to get a Dansk muffler but Pelican says they don't make the tail pipe for the OE mufflers that would fit with my valance. Please tell me there are options besides busch or changing my valance.
914runnow
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 1 2010, 07:00 PM) *

My muffler and tail pipe are completely shot. The problem is that I have the early rear valance with the hole in it (not the notch). I'd like to keep my car as original as possible and was going to get a Dansk muffler but Pelican says they don't make the tail pipe for the OE mufflers that would fit with my valance. Please tell me there are options besides busch or changing my valance.

Those pipes show up on ebay once in a while,forgot if you are shorter
on that pipe????BUT the stock muffs are the same..
Plus you can trim and weld a longer anyway..Give George at
AA a shout see what he has.....
BTW>this is a 4 cyl car???
Tom_T
agree.gif

... I just saw some NOS 1.7L tailpipes on the evil-bay in the last couple of weeks, so check the early part no. vs. the listing to make sure.

George et al at AA would be your other source.
Pat Garvey
One thing I will warn against.

DO NOT try to fit a Bursch exhaust - won't fit & will destroy the "snowplow" (ask me how I know). Took me over 30 years to find another "plow" that was usable.

Seriously, I'd give George a call. My guess is that he'll have it or a retro that will fit.
Pat
Tom_T
Ooops, it was actually at CL from 914club that I saw, but confirm the parts nos. for your MY 1.7, & it's even in your area! -

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=222535

Hope this works for you! smile.gif
DanT
Bursch used to make and early and late style muffler
One for the early valence and the more numerous and available unit for the later valence...
Or just weld up the hole and twin pipe your stock muffler biggrin.gif idea.gif
bradtho
thanks all. Yeah, I found that CL item shortly after sending this. I'm having a real hard time verifying the correct part number for the exact tailpipe. spent half an hour on the phone w/ AA today and still nothing definitive. I'll post back with the exact details that I learn on the part number for anyone in the future.
Middlefour
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 3 2010, 01:57 AM) *

DO NOT try to fit a Bursch exhaust - won't fit & will destroy the "snowplow" (ask me how I know). Took me over 30 years to find another "plow" that was usable.

Seriously, I'd give George a call. My guess is that he'll have it or a retro that will fit.
Pat

Hi Pat, I'm interested in your comments why the Bursch won't fit? I have had one on my '70 1.7 for about 8 years now and it fitted fine with no problems. What do you call the 'snow plough', the mounting bracket? I also have a standard oe muffler and tailpipe 'in stock' for the future. I have to say that I like the Bursch but almost impossible to buy now in the UK and anything like the USA price.
Cairo94507
To lend a helping hand....the "snow plow" is the deep or full rear valance which came on the early models. 70-72 if I am not mistaken. smile.gif
Middlefour
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 5 2010, 12:49 AM) *

To lend a helping hand....the "snow plow" is the deep or full rear valance which came on the early models. 70-72 if I am not mistaken. smile.gif

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Middlefour @ Aug 4 2010, 05:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 3 2010, 01:57 AM) *

Pat

Hi Pat, I'm interested in your comments why the Bursch won't fit? I have had one on my '70 1.7 for about 8 years now and it fitted fine with no problems. What do you call the 'snow plough', the mounting bracket? I also have a standard oe muffler and tailpipe 'in stock' for the future. I have to say that I like the Bursch but almost impossible to buy now in the UK and anything like the USA price.

Maybe Bursch woke up in the last 30 years & made one that fit the snowplow. But, I can tell from personal experience that when I put a Bursch exhuast on my 72 it vibrated against the pipe opening (yes, it was professionally installed), and after 4-6 months metal fatigue cracked the snowplow. I know others who've had the same problem and either removed the valence entirely or swithed to the later (short) valence. Loved the sound, but not worth the misery of trying to find another proper valence. Got VERY lucky & found a feshly restored one from California that the owner couldn'r use because he has a six. Paid a hefty price, but it was worth it after so many years of searching.

Quite frankly, the later, shorter valence makes more sense.

BTW, over here they call it a "snowplow" because it scoops up any snow more than 4 inches. Have a friend who had a six & had so much trouble with snow backing up in the backside that he had the valence louvered. Worked and looked cool, but it still just rusted away after 5-6 years.

Treasure that one that you have. Seriously.
Pat
Middlefour
Quite frankly, the later, shorter valence makes more sense.

BTW, over here they call it a "snowplow" because it scoops up any snow more than 4 inches. Have a friend who had a six & had so much trouble with snow backing up in the backside that he had the valence louvered. Worked and looked cool, but it still just rusted away after 5-6 years.

Treasure that one that you have. Seriously.
Pat

Hi Pat,

To be honest we very rarely get that much snow, if ever!! And I don't think I would take the car out because of all the salt they put on the roads here in the UK. I think I would fit another Bursch, maybe famous last words and the next one will be a pig to fit and rattle like crazy but I like the sound it makes. The deeper early valence does stop a good flow of air though.

Cheers
Cairo94507
Pat: That is funny; I have a perfectly restored "snow plow" valance for a 4 cylinder car. It came with my car, unrestored, and I had it restored believing it was the original one for my six. It was not on the car when I bought the car. Now I realize it is a 4 cylinder valance. But it sure is pretty and someone will be happy with it when I decide to sell it if I ever find a original six full valance. So if you have an original six full valance.....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 17 2010, 09:54 PM) *

Pat: That is funny; I have a perfectly restored "snow plow" valance for a 4 cylinder car. It came with my car, unrestored, and I had it restored believing it was the original one for my six. It was not on the car when I bought the car. Now I realize it is a 4 cylinder valance. But it sure is pretty and someone will be happy with it when I decide to sell it if I ever find a original six full valance. So if you have an original six full valance.....

Wish I did! Would be worth a small fortune!

Two weeks ago I saw a six with a twin pipe sport muffler. The guy had used (crudely) some tin snips to destroy a six snow plow. Welded a very visible patch where the original tailpipe had exited. Really sad - a waste of a really rare part. Car was Irish Green (nasty paint), with either signal Orange or Blutorange wheel wells. Go figure!
Pat
Cairo94507
Just makes me want to cry.....I keep looking at the one on e-bay for $1,250 and keep saying, "No way!"
bradtho
It's taken way longer to work this out than I'd expected, but George came through with the right part. I'm using a Dansk muffler (021 251 1053) with a Genuine Porsche tail-pipe (022 251 185). Interestingly enough, the Porsche pipe was half the cost of the Dansk pipe and is finished nicer too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.