Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler Mounting on a 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I have a 3.2 that is going in my teener, I really do not want to mount the oil cooler in the front, I like the clean look as it is. I already have a sump in the front as well.
Is there somewhere else the cooler could be mounted and still cool?

I live in Florida so the temperture is just below hell right now?

The car will be flared, it that helps.

Thanks for everyones help.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 2 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Is there somewhere else the cooler could be mounted and still cool?

Anywhere you get decent air-flow ... popcorn[1].gif

I've seen quite a few 3.2L installs that run without a external oil-cooler. It seems that, at least here in CA, the stock engine mounted cooler is sufficient.

idea.gif Andy
MoveQik
Mine is hung below the rear trunk on the passenger side. I have a 6" x 12" cooler back there.

ellisor3
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 2 2010, 05:58 PM) *

Mine is hung below the rear trunk on the passenger side. I have a 6" x 12" cooler back there.

Did you open up the trunk floor or does it just draw from the air flow?
SLITS
Mine is mounted in the trunk, over the starter with a fan on top (PO cut a hole to get to the starter). 2.7L runs about 210 consistent.
Mark Henry
I remember one guy running two smaller coolers behind the fog light grills.
IronHillRestorations
I've put one under the rear trunk floor with a fan mounted directly on the cooler, and in the right rear quarter panel (similar location as the oil tank, but on the passenger side) also with a fan mounted directly on the cooler.
Mountain914
If you don't need a wiper motor - this is a possibility.
GeorgeRud
If you use the 914-6 GT bumper and valance panel, it still has quite a nice, clean look. I don't think you'll be cutting up the car near as much as if you mount it in the trunk, but it's a personal choice.

Obviously, you need airflow to get cooling. My 2.7 conversion uses a ducted Turbotronics cooler in front, and stays below 210 on the hottest days.

MoveQik
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 2 2010, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 2 2010, 05:58 PM) *

Did you open up the trunk floor or does it just draw from the air flow?

No cutting required. biggrin.gif
BigD9146gt
First off, what are you going to do with the car? 110+deg track days? Then yes, you need more cooling. I worked on and drove Dave Shepards (GPR) 914/3.2 over a thousand miles, from Laguna Seca to Long Beach to laps at the Streets of Willow. The factory oil cooler is great, and the ONLY time I've ever seen the temp raise above 230 was coming back from Willow, long 5mi uphills, 100deg asphalt, slight pinging with 104 gas.

I'm worried about cooling with my 2.8, but went on a drive a few weekends ago and even in the 90+ heat, only saw 230... and thats a mag case. I'm going to run twin coolers behind the horn grills, i've never seen that done but others have told me its been done.

You might not need the extra cooling, drop the motor in, drive it, and you can always add it later. If you need oil lines, I might be making a GT hardline setup here soon. Stay tuned.

Cheers, d
Steve
I have a 3.2 in my car and it also runs very cool. I only added the front GT cooler because it was already there from the previous 2.7. The only time the 3.2 would over heat was in traffic jam start and stop traffic on the freeway during the summer. Even the front cooler didn't help because there was no air flow. I need to add a fan to the cooler. I went with a stock look Getty Design front trunk shroud.
http://www.gettydesign.com/Catalog/2009%20...talog%20914.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.