Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area dealerships of the 70s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bembry
Anyone know names of Bay Area / Norcal Porsche dealerships that sold 914s new? I'm pretty sure my car is from up that way, and I'm going to track down an old dealership license plate frame from the area if possible.

Were any of these dealerships in the below link around?

http://bayarea.porschedealer.com/

Anyone have an old frame from up that way they'd part with?

JeffBowlsby
Autobahn VW Porsche, San Mateo. I have a plastic dealership frame, NFS.

I also have a vintage CarreraTech (I think) plastic frame (2X) that has the on it. It is a current P-car local mechanic, I'd have to pull it out of a box to verify exactly. Also NFS, sorry.

Carlsen Porsche (then Porsche-Audi) has been around a long time, they have changed locations over the years, now in Redwood City, but I believe they were originally a 914 dealer.

Was there a Sunnyvale Porsche-Audi also?

Great topic BTW. smile.gif
DanT
Wes Behl VW Porsche in Sunnyvale
then Anderson/Behl in San Jose
Then just Anderson and now Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose
Gus Mozart Porsche/VW In Palo Alto. Now is Carlsen's Subaru or Audi Dealership I believe and then the Porsche portion was moved to Redwood City as Carlsens after it outgrew the Palo Alto site.

at that time the Porsche/VW regional distributorship was headquartered in Pleasanton at the intersection of 580/680

Was owned by Reynold C. Johnson who lived in Danville Ca.

I worked for several dealerships in Norcal detailing and delivering/dealer trading Porsches and VWs when I was in High School and College.
Even delivered a bubble topped 1972 VW bus camper to R.C. Johnson's home in Danville.

I don't believe any of them were in existence back in the '70s....actually back then Rector was a Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealership smile.gif
TurboWalt
R.S. Taylor in Vallejo, Porsche & Benz
Cairo94507
Ely Porsche in Hayward on Mission Street at Lewelling Blvd. They are long gone but that was where I bought my '73 2.0 914 brand new.
Michael N
I am not sure of the years but here are a few I have collected from the bay area over the years. I am a fan of the dealer plates on the older cars but when I get a new car they are the first thing I remove. I now save them...

Anderson Behl - Santa Clara.

Click to view attachment

California Porsche Audi - San Francisco

Click to view attachment

Carlsen - Palo Alto - Before moving to Redwood City

Click to view attachment

Not Northern Cal but I love that it matches the car and is in good shape.

Click to view attachment

JKW
The Porsche dealer that used to be in Oakland, was Johnson, I think. I bought an '87 944S from them new. Jon

QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 18 2010, 10:41 AM) *

I am not sure of the years but here are a few I have collected from the bay area over the years. I am a fan of the dealer plates on the older cars but when I get a new car they are the first thing I remove. I now save them...

Anderson Behl - Santa Clara.

Click to view attachment

California Porsche Audi - San Francisco

Click to view attachment

Carlsen - Palo Alto - Before moving to Redwood City

Click to view attachment

Not Northern Cal but I love that it matches the car and is in good shape.

Click to view attachment

VZ935
California Porsche on Van Ness in San Francisco is where my father bought all his 1970 and up Porsche's until 1986 .

Not sure when Nuefeld Porsche Audi came into play. I used to look at George Dyer's RSR and 934 on display during his racing days Click to view attachment
Wyatt G
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 3 2010, 11:45 PM) *

Indeed there was.

Ownership was changed a few times.
Sunnyvale Porsche Audi
Was also called Bob Wilson P/A.

Click to view attachment
Wyatt G
Click to view attachment

We also had these for a small time. a discounted color combo.
If i remember, that is when Don Lucas bought our store.

LOL

btw, sorry for the late reply, been busy in a VolvoComa for almost 3 decades
:-)
Wyatt G
another one of our licence plates when i first started in 1975
wes
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 3 2010, 09:45 PM) *

I also have a vintage CarreraTech (I think) plastic frame (2X) that has the on it. It is a current P-car local mechanic, I'd have to pull it out of a box to verify exactly. Also NFS, sorry.

Carlsen Porsche (then Porsche-Audi) has been around a long time, they have changed locations over the years, now in Redwood City, but I believe they were originally a 914 dealer.

Anderson Behl on the El Camino in Sunnyvale.
Wyatt G
QUOTE(wes @ Oct 2 2020, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 3 2010, 09:45 PM) *

Anderson Behl on the El Camino in Sunnyvale.

Greeting Wes,

I cannot remember the P/A store on the el camino being called AB PA. But perhaps i was wrong. I thought AB was only on the Creek. I know Bob Wilson and Norm Anderson & the Behl's owned el camino for awhile under Bob Wilson, then went to
the Kamps out of TX, then Bill Hale and his investors sold to Don Lucas and called it Sunnyvale P/A. I only worked there for 11yrs, from 1975-1986. So perhaps was it before 1974 when it was called AB?

Say hi to your family, much contribution to the biz, thanks. RIP Mr Wilson and also RIP to my mentor, Mr. Paul Lang.
agree.gif

Cheers

Wyatt G
brought back memories at todays Folsom C&C.
cool ride, cool plate frame.

Click to view attachment
L-Jet914
My father purchased our 914 from Ely Porsche Audi in Hayward. I am on the hunt for a set of license plate frames if anyone is willing to part with a set.
914runnow
My now ex 73 2.0 Neillo Sacto
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.