Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 Project update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
I've been working on this project about 4 months now and finally got the car painted on Friday.
Alaskan Metallic Blue
Click to view attachment

Treated the interior and engine compartment with Lizard Skin.
Click to view attachment

Very happy with the results. Hope to start reassembling later this week.

LotusJoe
Couple of before pics
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Wow!

I love that color!
jim_hoyland
Great job ! smile.gif
Lennies914
Looks great! I really like the "lizard skin". What exactly is that? It looks like a bed liner material. Is it a DYI product?
Cevan
Very nice!!
Tom_T
Looks good Joe!

Is that a color change from Marathon Blue Metallic to the Alaska Blue Met., or is the "before paint" just faded?

Is this a 914 you were going to do for the "demo death to the winner" race?

You should talk to Steve Gaglione on here (also at AA "hotline") with the Sahara Beige 73 2L & 71 Strecker (sp?) 914-6 on topics here & O&H Forums, cuz he has a beautiful JPS Lotus also!
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 3 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Looks great! I really like the "lizard skin". What exactly is that? It looks like a bed liner material. Is it a DYI product?

Lizard skin is a sound-proofing material. I had the paint shop spray the interior and engine compartment with the sound proofing first (approx. 40 mils). I then had them apply the ceramic coating material to the engine compartment only. Then top coat the body color over that. It is about have the cost of Dyna-mat with better results. With the ceramic coating on the firewall side of the engine compartment there will be no need to put the old insulating material back into the compartment. They are spraying the insulating material to the wheel wells and bottom today. Should give a nice finishing touch to the body before reassembly.
http://www.lizardskin.com/

LotusJoe
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2010, 09:34 AM) *

Looks good Joe!

Is that a color change from Marathon Blue Metallic to the Alaska Blue Met., or is the "before paint" just faded?

You should talk to Steve Gaglione on here (also at AA "hotline") with the Sahara Beige 73 2L & 71 Strecker (sp?) 914-6 on topics here & O&H Forums, cuz he has a beautiful JPS Lotus also!

Yes this was a color change. I'm not familiar with "demo death to the winner" I did take the donor car and make it into a LeMons racer that we ran at Thunderhill back in May. We are going to run again in December at Button Willow
Click to view attachment

Lennies914
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Aug 3 2010, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 3 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Lizard skin is a sound-proofing material. I had the paint shop spray the interior and engine compartment with the sound proofing first (approx. 40 mils). I then had them apply the ceramic coating material to the engine compartment only. Then top coat the body color over that. It is about have the cost of Dyna-mat with better results. With the ceramic coating on the firewall side of the engine compartment there will be no need to put the old insulating material back into the compartment. They are spraying the insulating material to the wheel wells and bottom today. Should give a nice finishing touch to the body before reassembly.
http://www.lizardskin.com/

Thank you Joe, I was unaware of the peoduct but it sounds like a great addition to my current project. beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Aug 3 2010, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2010, 09:34 AM) *

Looks good Joe!

Yes this was a color change. I'm not familiar with "demo death to the winner" I did take the donor car and make it into a LeMons racer that we ran at Thunderhill back in May. We are going to run again in December at Button Willow
Click to view attachment

Yup - I call the LeMons races a "demo death to the winner" because they drop the winning car from a crane to demo it IIRC. I'f I'm correct, then let's hope you don't win so you can keep running the donor 914, maybe in VARA, PCA or other more traditional racing without the "final penalty" to the winner! biggrin.gif

Thanx also for the Lizard Skin info.

What body shop in OC did you have shoot your "good" 914 & what type of paint & primer etc. did they use? confused24.gif
... e.g.: what brand, solvent or water base, epoxy primer, etching or not, etc.??

I'll need to have my 73 2L done whenever I'm ready too. dry.gif
LotusJoe
Update:
Suspension is completed...Bilstein Sport Shocks all around, Free Motion front kit, Tarett Down Links, Stock sway bar & Arms. Rear Delrin bushings.
Steering Rack rebuilt with 911 Turbo tie rods. All powder coated and cad plated.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

LotusJoe
Steering Rack....sorry for the fuzzy picture..Darn iPhone

Click to view attachment
kenrinc
Hey Joe, what type of paint did they use? I'm in the process of getting ready to do a 73 in Alaska Blue and so far the quarts I've had mixed don't look anything like it.

Ken-
Tom_T
QUOTE(kenrinc @ Aug 30 2010, 12:11 PM) *

Hey Joe, what type of paint did they use? I'm in the process of getting ready to do a 73 in Alaska Blue and so far the quarts I've had mixed don't look anything like it.

Ken-

Check this topic & it's links Ken - a few posts down, there are links to PPG's, Glasurit's & some others with color codes/mixes, etc. -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=39488&st=0

Some folks have had trouble with PPG & others have had trouble getting some original colors shipped to CA, so you may need to have a buddy in NV/AZ take delivery & get it over to you.
azbill
Joe that is a sweet looking teener Good Job.
Tom_T
agree.gif

When do you think you'll have it up for C&C in Irvine or PCA OCR's Porsches & Doughnutz at Krispy Kreme at The Block in Orange (3rd Sat. am's 8:30-10+)?
kenrinc
Thanks Tom, yeah I had seen that thread. These older colors always seem to be a problem, especially in the lower line paints like Nason, Omni, Limco etc... Even in the higher end paints it can be a problem. Ordering paint online is a risky business if you end up with a color that isn't correct. Most don't refund $$$.

With the move to waterbourne basecoats many of these guys have not transitioned the old color codes over from their solvent based cousins and trying to get their chemists to "get on it" can quite literally take years...

Ken-
Tom_T
QUOTE(kenrinc @ Aug 31 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Thanks Tom, yeah I had seen that thread. These older colors always seem to be a problem, especially in the lower line paints like Nason, Omni, Limco etc... Even in the higher end paints it can be a problem. Ordering paint online is a risky business if you end up with a color that isn't correct. Most don't refund $$$.

With the move to waterbourne basecoats many of these guys have not transitioned the old color codes over from their solvent based cousins and trying to get their chemists to "get on it" can quite literally take years...

Ken-

Ken, go with the top end stuff in solvent & go pick it up out of state if you have to do so - PPG or ?{brainfart-time blink.gif }? from USA, but Glasurit, Sekkinds, etc. from Germany/Euroland will be better. BTW - I didn't mean to order online, but use the guides to order from a local auto paint store, or one out of state as noted.
rick 918-S
Nice project. I like the color!
kenrinc
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 31 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Ken, go with the top end stuff in solvent & go pick it up out of state if you have to do so - PPG or ?{brainfart-time blink.gif }? from USA, but Glasurit, Sekkinds, etc. from Germany/Euroland will be better. BTW - I didn't mean to order online, but use the guides to order from a local auto paint store, or one out of state as noted.

Yeah, it's just getting old headbang.gif I've done 3 cars and it's just becoming a total hassle.

Ken-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.