Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 manifolds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Aside from the webbing versus the short bar between the intakes, any difference between the 2 in design or performance.

I think the one with the holes is an older design than the one with the bar.

thanks,
dr
meursault
I've heard people state a preference for the earlier style (the one with holes) as it is reportedly stronger. From the looks of it though, it's made of pot metal and I don't care for that material too much. Also, if you just look at the picture, the port size of the later manifolds is significantly larger as it enters the head, so depending upon your performance needs, this could be a plus. I can tell you, though, that when I ran those manifolds on my car, There was a tendency to blow out the paper gasket where it met up with the head because of that lack of material at the top. My solution was to use the fuel injection insulation block gaskets with a skim of silicone sealant, although I've heard that they tend to crack on carburetor sytems.

Happy hunting--I don't think the early style is available new anymore.
machina
I have both styles. My new set is being match ported to my heads right now.

thanks for the info.

dr
SpecialK
I have the type with the bar between the runners. Not sure which is stronger, but either will require a bit of grinding to match the ports. Had to remove about .090" of material on ALL of the intake ports to smooth out the flow.
SpecialK
WOW ohmy.gif

I really need to remember to "resize" my pics before I post.
machina
Does the manifold and the head port both require grinding?

Nice red carb, looks good enought to eat. chowtime.gif

dr
SpecialK
In my particular case the manifolds were the only thing that need grinding. I made a template of the head from some gasket material I had laying around (the old mallet type hole punch works great for the bolt holes), then transferred the pattern to the manifolds and trimmed to a smooth transition (1.5" or so) back into the manifold. A small inspection mirror helps a lot to check your progress. Just remember that once trimmed you have to keep the two paired (not interchangable any more). I've heard that it really helps the flow (VE), can't wait to get it running to find out first hand! boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.