Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Listening to Valves post adjustment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0 stock

Listening to the valves after you adjust them, should you be able to hear any unitl they have warmed up? I have about a dozen adjustments only under my belt, alot of them were on my first 2 adjustments just trying to get a feel for it.

Currently I adjusted my valves and can hear maybe 1 or so I guess queitly for about approx. 5 minutes then they are all silent and of course warmed up.. Is that tolerable or normal after an adjustment?

Since they are cold adjusted I can while under the car tap them the .008 or .006 accordingly so am wondering if that tolerance is what I am hearing until theyh warm up? or should I snug them up a bit more??

Basically I do not know how to listen.. How do you listen for good adjustment?
ME733
........listening for the proper valve adjustment just takes a significant mechanical apititude, and lots of experience. But the valve lash(noise) seems to be most noticeable when the engine is cold and just started.On a stock engine with ALUMINUM pushrods, the pushrods expand as /with /the engine temperature, and as the oil pressure and circulation occurs the oil itself, lubricating the engine tends to quiten up the engine also....You are always better off with slightly more valve lash than too tight...as tight can cause "burned valves",Valves not on their seats, and a poorly running engine.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 3 2010, 05:57 PM) *

........listening for the proper valve adjustment just takes a significant mechanical apititude, and lots of experience. But the valve lash(noise) seems to be most noticeable when the engine is cold and just started.On a stock engine with ALUMINUM pushrods, the pushrods expand as /with /the engine temperature, and as the oil pressure and circulation occurs the oil itself, lubricating the engine tends to quiten up the engine also....You are always better off with slightly more valve lash than too tight...as tight can cause "burned valves",Valves not on their seats, and a poorly running engine.

Thank You that was a perfect response and what I expected. The feel of adjusting a valve and hearing valve lash is hard to be absolute especially when describing to a remote person..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.