Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Project 1971 1.7 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
Lost while editing

Please Delete
rick 918-S
welcome.png I don't like the bracing at all. I would use square tubing and move the brace from the door hinge holes inboard so you can test fit the doors before anymore cutting or welding are done. If you can't fit the doors now adjust the chassis, weld in a new brace and then start back at work.
Bleyseng
yes, I agree! Also with that amount of repair you should cut away the fender for access to repair the hell hole and inner fender. If you cut it carefully and with a narrow blade you can just refit it and weld it back.
The floor pan welding sucks....... and I would grind it all down.
Ericv1
I would also take a look at that outer suspension console given the large hole right above it. More than likely it's compromised.
NC_Colfax
Yes I have a long ways to go.....

I called a good local shop today. Once he has the frame machine free he is goes to set it up and pull some electronic measurements to make sure everything is still square. Then while still on the machine he is going to weld in a new brace package.

Any pics or info. on the proper place for the braces??
Bleyseng
Install the doors before welding in a brace as they set the gaps around the doors. There is only so much adjustment when installing the doors and I get tired of seeing restored 914s with the doors ill fitting do to crappy setup.
realred914
agree that teh doors must be mounted and gapped before the brace is installed. be sure to tripple check every measurement and cut first, had a guy work on my 356 and he did not double check anything, it was a disaster. had to take it back from him, real mess. so besure to recheck everyuthing, the time to find out something is not right is not after the final paint coat!

too bad your not on the west coast, we have beeter cars in scraper yards, thnaks to the californazia laws on scraping car, the state takes tax money and buys up classic cars, then orders that they may never be re-sold, only some parts can be sold off, even the gas tanks are destroyed (every tank has a hole or two punched in it!) so much for recylcling! the state has accelerated the destruction of nice classics. I have seen rare sparts cars (Briklin for example) in the yard and have seen folks beggin gto buy it, but no, it is aginst the law, it must be scrapped. many a nice 914 or vintage VW have seen simular ends. howmany per wek? dont know, but it is eating away at teh number of restoratble cars. very sickening, oh well californazia politians at work. remember when you vote who approves of these kinds of car killing programs. vote them out. it was sickening to see the 914's in teh san jose yard,9see other post) one was loking less rusty than your what a shame

good luck, you rust area guys have it hard.
NC_Colfax
Going to the local shop to have the "Hell Hole" repaired. I think it is a little more than I want the take on....

Does anyone move the battry to pervent future problems?? And if so where??
Spoke
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Aug 8 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Going to the local shop to have the "Hell Hole" repaired. I think it is a little more than I want the take on....

Does anyone move the battry to pervent future problems?? And if so where??

welcome.png

Good luck with your 914. It's addicting, rewarding, maddening, time consuming, a money pit, and one hell of a car.

My advice to you instead of getting someone to weld things for you (unless you have a friend who welds), buy a welder. You will pay for the welder in the first couple of weld repairs that you farm out. MIG welding isn't all that hard to learn and in quite fun once you get proficient.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.