Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ball joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry75914
Hi all!

I was not quite able to get to the manual's spec of 180 ft lbs when I was putting in my new ball joints ( this is the late style '75). One is at about 140 ft lbs, the other around 120. At that point the wonderful socket I ordered gave up on me and started stripping.

Am I close enough, or am I creating a safety issue for myself?

Thanks!
realred914
QUOTE(Jerry75914 @ Aug 4 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Hi all!

I was not quite able to get to the manual's spec of 180 ft lbs when I was putting in my new ball joints ( this is the late style '75). One is at about 140 ft lbs, the other around 120. At that point the wonderful socket I ordered gave up on me and started stripping.

Am I close enough, or am I creating a safety issue for myself?

Thanks!

id keep trying for the 180 ft lbs the 120 is 33% too low! why cant you get the require torque? if the socket fails before 180 ft lbs, that just means a cheapo socket, get one that is up to the task. or if an alignment is in the works, ask the alignment shop to torque it down, they shoudl have the right tools.

good luck, torque it down!!!!

PS call up five points tires in redwood city or custom alingmnet in mt view. these two shops should have the right tools, they do 914's and other wierd cars, they will know how to set up the aligment and probably have the correct shims and tools for the 914
Jerry75914
thanks! I had the same idea as well. I work near Custom, so I might just do that. The socket wasn't cheap, but it was definitely a piece of stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.