Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I have a 1.8 EC case motor that had the piston froze up due to some moisture. I got the case apart and am now looking at my options for the rebuild. With my current low budget I think the best option is to build it to a 1911. The stock crank and cam are in good shape. I plan on using the 1.8 heads, what size pistons and cylinders should I use? What else is there that I should know. I searched the threads and other sites and now one seems to have complete how to info.

Thanks for the help! One day my car may actually see the road!

Jsaum
Cevan
If you go to the Jake Raby's forum under Technical Articles, there is a good write up on how to convert your engine to a 1911, which uses the stock crank with 96mm P/Cs. I am no expert, but getting a new cam and lifters together is probably advisable. Not sure anyone reuses cams. They are pretty cheap and there are specific grinds out there to use with stock FI and for carbs. Your biggest single cost will likely be rebuilding the 1.8 heads.
Rav914
I'll built a 1911 using Raby's stuff. You'll need a valve train upgrade to go with the cam. I used his 9550 cam but have since switched to carbs and headers. This winter I'll be asking Jake for a different cam to maximize the use of those mods.

I wrote about it in my blog (in the signature line).

BTW it's a fun engine. I really enjoy it. If I wasn't selling my '74 soon, I'd do the same to it but with FI.
JmuRiz
I've never built an engine, but isn't the 2056 about the same price to build as a 1911? Talk with Jake and he'll steer you in the right direction for your budget
JimN73
I'm rebuilding my 2.0 right now, result of spun rod bearing. And I'm doing some upgrades, too. AA Pistons prices for 96 mm pistons and cylinders is pretty good, and the pistons are much lighter than stock. I sent everything to a machinist to be balanced, he said they seemed to be of good quality.

I'm getting a cam from Jake Raby. If you go with Jake's kit, don't buy a cam, it comes with his kit.
underthetire
I think the general opinion is not to re-use a type 4 cam, unless your not splitting the cases. They are known to wear out, even if they don't appear to be bad.
jsaum
QUOTE(Cevan @ Aug 4 2010, 11:02 AM) *

If you go to the Jake Raby's forum under Technical Articles, there is a good write up on how to convert your engine to a 1911, which uses the stock crank with 96mm P/Cs. I am no expert, but getting a new cam and lifters together is probably advisable. Not sure anyone reuses cams. They are pretty cheap and there are specific grinds out there to use with stock FI and for carbs. Your biggest single cost will likely be rebuilding the 1.8 heads.

Great thread! Thanks for the input!

Jsaum
jsaum
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Aug 4 2010, 06:11 PM) *

I'm rebuilding my 2.0 right now, result of spun rod bearing. And I'm doing some upgrades, too. AA Pistons prices for 96 mm pistons and cylinders is pretty good, and the pistons are much lighter than stock. I sent everything to a machinist to be balanced, he said they seemed to be of good quality.

I'm getting a cam from Jake Raby. If you go with Jake's kit, don't buy a cam, it comes with his kit.

After looking at all of the options I think I'll just put the engine back together as a 1.8. I'm sure Raby's kit's are the best, but the price tag would be double what my car is worth in it's present condition. Currently it looks like the Raby website is geared towards the 2270 kit at $6750.00.

Jsaum
Jake Raby
QUOTE(jsaum @ Aug 5 2010, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Aug 4 2010, 06:11 PM) *

After looking at all of the options I think I'll just put the engine back together as a 1.8. I'm sure Raby's kit's are the best, but the price tag would be double what my car is worth in it's present condition. Currently it looks like the Raby website is geared towards the 2270 kit at $6750.00.

Jsaum

Its an investment. People that buy our engines and kits don't plan on selling the car. If they do their car has greater "sell-ability" and will hold its value better than it's peers.

The current recession has proven that.

The 2270 engine is my most developed and offers the best value of all my engines as a big picture, despite the higher cost.

To properly select a camshaft the entire engine must be considered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.