Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: backfiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
75 1.8 suddenly have a lot of backfiring on deceleration/leting off the gas. Seems like a slight loss of power as well. ??
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 4 2010, 03:49 PM) *

75 1.8 suddenly have a lot of backfiring on deceleration/leting off the gas. Seems like a slight loss of power as well. ??

Look for an exhaust leak.
Try the shop vacuum pressurization technique.
It works pretty good.
Cambo
So, I just found a hole in the exhaust. It's in a foot long section of the exhaust pipe just prior to the muffler. Could that cause backfiring? The hole is about an inch and a half long and a quarter inch wide.
underthetire
BIG time. And can even fume you out of the car.
Lennies914
I'm sure you'll have that fixed and be ready to run with the big dogs saturday morning, right? welder.gif
Cambo
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 4 2010, 06:24 PM) *

I'm sure you'll have that fixed and be ready to run with the big dogs saturday morning, right? welder.gif

Dude, I'm registered, where can I find that piece of the exaust before saturday???
Cambo
Looks like its the "catalytic test pipe" section for 75/76, it's totaly shot. I can poke my finger through it. The rest of the exhaust is fairly new, just this one piece is totally rusted. Anyone in Sacramento area have one of these? I wanna run with the dogs in Sonoma saturday.
Lennies914
If it's a "test pipe" you should be able to remove it and have it duplicated by a local muffler shop. confused24.gif
Cambo
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 4 2010, 08:01 PM) *

If it's a "test pipe" you should be able to remove it and have it duplicated by a local muffler shop. confused24.gif

Cool, I'll try tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.