Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hillbilly Mechanix Part 3 the saga continues....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Welll guys I just keep digging up more hillbilly fixes as I tear into my car so heres a few more
This is a picture of my mount bar which was mounted backwards because the PO used a late bar on my early car!
Click to view attachment

While trying to figure out why my car overheated I found a birds nest in my motor!!
Click to view attachment

Also found a peice of plastic in the impeller which caused 2 broken blades??
Click to view attachment

Heres a picture of the spark plugs, for some reason they are really sunk in. Couldnt figure it out untill I realized the heads were mounted backwards and prolly not even the correct head!
Click to view attachment

Then I realized the head was heli-coiled...
Click to view attachment

look at this plug?? how was my car running like this????
Click to view attachment

Well looks like ill be needing a new 1.7 head now. Anyone got one?? hissyfit.gif
sixnotfour
i have a 1.7 engine complete, you can have. talk to Rich.
VaccaRabite
There is nothing hill-billy about any of the items posted in this thread.

This is all pretty much what a new owner should expect to find with a 30 year old car's engine.

Heads are interchangeable, especially if you are not using the FI. The only difference is that one head has the threaded hole for the stock head temp sender.

Helicoiling is common on all cars. Is it the best way? No, I'd have that removed and an insert placed there. But it is very common. One of my heads was helicoiled too.

You expect to find all manner of foulness under the engine tins. Dead mice, nests, seeds, sparkplugs, tools, whatever. Very common. Stuff slips under there and is gone unless you pull the tin or fish it out. Animals LOVE to make homes there.

You don't need new heads, unless they are badly cracked. you do need to have the heads machined and rebuilt. But every engine build needs that. Replacing that helicoil with an insert will cost ~$50. my machineist only charged me $25, but YMMV.

Zach

zymurgist
Can't this all be in one thread?
matteyp
Sorry guys I would combine them all but I don't really know how to do that..,
70_914
QUOTE(matteyp @ Aug 4 2010, 06:27 PM) *

Welll guys I just keep digging up more hillbilly fixes as I tear into my car so heres a few more
This is a picture of my mount bar which was mounted backwards because the PO used a late bar on my early car!
Click to view attachment

While trying to figure out why my car overheated I found a birds nest in my motor!!
Click to view attachment

Also found a peice of plastic in the impeller which caused 2 broken blades??
Click to view attachment

Heres a picture of the spark plugs, for some reason they are really sunk in. Couldnt figure it out untill I realized the heads were mounted backwards and prolly not even the correct head!
Click to view attachment

Then I realized the head was heli-coiled...
Click to view attachment

look at this plug?? how was my car running like this????
Click to view attachment

Well looks like ill be needing a new 1.7 head now. Anyone got one?? hissyfit.gif

That appears to be a tine-sert, which is a permanent repair for stripped spark plug threads and no different than what a machinist will do.
dinomium
don't feel too bad about the bird's nest. I fired up my garaged queen today and plume of blue shop towels and "fluff" billowed through out the shop! I just hope the lil critter that made that was not at home at the time...
I lots of parts as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.