Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to hook up factory dash temp combo gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porscheman912
I had to replace my gauges in my car, or have them rebuilt, but I just bought some used ones. The fuel gauge has the combo temp gauge in it. There were wires still hooked up on the back, because they were cut, and I know where the power wire comes from, fuel gauge, but there was a green wire with black dots or stripes. Where does that wire go, or is there a factory place to hook in the wiring harness, plus where is the sending unit located, and do I need to get one, or is one already there? This is a 75 1.8 car. Any help would be great.
Thank you
realred914
should hook up like the stock temp gage. one 12 volt positive wire that is switched on with ignition , one wire from the temp sendor, and a ground, plus a 12 positve wire for the lamp (hooked to the dash light circuit)

the green and black wire is the factory color for the wire that runs between teh gage and teh sendor.

good luck

PS make sure teh sendor is marked as teh same temp range as the gage.
realred914
ps temp sending unit is located on bottom of engine, off tot eh side where there is a round stmped steel plate. the plate is retained by two screws, the plate is either flat with no sendor, or it is the special plate with provision for a sendor. if you plate is flat, you'll need the sendor and the correct plate and cover plate and gaskets.

later cars often had the wires already in teh harness for use if you get the optional ceneter cousul gages. the wires if they are present shoudl terminate near the floor under the dash in teh center of the car, they run thru the tunnel many early cars did not come with these wires preinstalled so you have to add them yourself. might as well run a couple extra wires while your at it, for later use (maybe add a pressure gage, or coil volta gage, etc....)

so see if you have some extra wires in a bundle under teh dash near the floor. you might already be wired for the gages. youwill likely have to extend the factory wires as they were ment for the gage to be in the center consul, not up in the dash like your neato combo gage is.

good lcuk
Porscheman912
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 5 2010, 09:41 AM) *

ps temp sending unit is located on bottom of engine, off tot eh side where there is a round stmped steel plate. the plate is retained by two screws, the plate is either flat with no sendor, or it is the special plate with provision for a sendor. if you plate is flat, you'll need the sendor and the correct plate and cover plate and gaskets.

later cars often had the wires already in teh harness for use if you get the optional ceneter cousul gages. the wires if they are present shoudl terminate near the floor under the dash in teh center of the car, they run thru the tunnel many early cars did not come with these wires preinstalled so you have to add them yourself. might as well run a couple extra wires while your at it, for later use (maybe add a pressure gage, or coil volta gage, etc....)

so see if you have some extra wires in a bundle under teh dash near the floor. you might already be wired for the gages. youwill likely have to extend the factory wires as they were ment for the gage to be in the center consul, not up in the dash like your neato combo gage is.

good lcuk

Ok, so there should be wires already in the harness. the car is a 75, and that is what the gauge cluster came from. I know what plate you are talking about, and I have seen them before on a customers car, I am an engine builder. I just had to replace my speedo cable, and found the wires you are talking about, they are just behind the shifter in my car. So, all I have to do is to run a wire from there to the gauge, and then find where it is in the engine bay. That will be easy. Thank you very much for your reply. I did not think about those wires having the one wire I needed in it. The gauge still has the blue wire with red stripe that comes from the fuel gauge for 12v power. The ground wire was not there, so thank you for that bit of info to.
type47
The gauge needs +12V power and a signal from the sensor. The sensor is commonly called a "taco plate" (to help with your search). If your car is a 75, then there probably is a wire in the harness that would be used for the temp gauge. As stated above, there is a connector in the engine bay under the battery that a wire could be connected to the taco plate sender then the other end, which ends near the shifter in the interior that would be used to connect to the temp gauge in a console. You could run a wire from that connector (for the console) up into the dash to supply a signal to the gauge. BTDT.
detoxcowboy
power, ground, and lamp can be jumpered off another source in the already busy 3 gauge cluster, then just add length to the sender wire so it can reach the dash cluster.. the three gauge cluster in the center console is "jumpered" shared source from factory in same manner but it is un-seen beacuse of the wire harness casings making it appear each gauge has a seperate source... also if your retaining the center console it is a good idea to make a plug connector for any wires from there leading up to your dash gauge cluster so you can remove the console without having to cut wires.. or route your wires out the rear of center console under the carpet along the main harness around your pedal cluster and back up around the fuse panel then they will not be in the way anymore..

use similar gauge wiring.. the 914 has metric gauge so unless you have another harness to cut from the gauge equivelent will be slighlty larger, do not go to large or to small get close..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.