Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Dept couldn't put out a 911 targa today.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakeodoule
Poor bastard!

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/aug/05/...sible-to-fight/
Brent
Whats the best extinguisher to carry for our cars?
underthetire
QUOTE(Brent @ Aug 5 2010, 03:16 PM) *

The kind with legs. As in run away.
Cap'n Krusty
"Magnesium brakes"? Not bloody likely.

The Cap'n
Steve
It was probably the magnesium brakes that caused the fire!! ROFL
patssle
So why was a highly flamable material used in such large quantity on cars?

And the crazy part is, I was just thinking about the magnesium in my 1974 911 a couple days ago...
corsepervita
Man, that was ALMOST me not long ago...

Poor guy - That is a scary feeling sad.gif RIP poor little 911!
davep
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 5 2010, 02:49 PM) *

"Magnesium brakes"? Not bloody likely.

The Cap'n

Quite right, those calipers are extremely rare and not likely to be found on a street car.
pete-stevers
thank god it wasnt a coupe
SLITS
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 5 2010, 04:08 PM) *

So why was a highly flamable material used in such large quantity on cars?

And the crazy part is, I was just thinking about the magnesium in my 1974 911 a couple days ago...

Lightweight
qa1142
idea.gif

Wonder what he wants for the front rims?
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 5 2010, 04:26 PM) *

lol-2.gif I was thinkin' the same thing. . .

On the bright side, now I know where i can get my hands on a complete front 5-lug donor car. . . driving.gif

Check those fuel lines folks!!!!!!!!
messix
QUOTE(Brent @ Aug 5 2010, 03:16 PM) *

i believe halon is the only thing available and needs to be used in a semi closed environment. it's heaver than air and displaces the oxygen. if used shoot it into the the engine compartment with the lids closed.

co2 might work... very large quantity.
ripper911
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 5 2010, 07:26 PM) *

Grr! stick.gif
iamchappy
dead horse.gif

Be over prepared. The more you can throw at it the better.......
NC_Colfax
I watched a perfect Nissan 300ZX turbo burn one day.
It was a small fire in the wiring and the fire fighters destoryed the whole car while the owner cussed them. They could have put the fire in the engine bay out...but instead the beat the dash and windshield out to "see if the fire had spread" the owner was so mad the put him in a police cruiser until the firemen finished off the last of his car. Then they asked him who he wanted to tow the car. After he cussed them for about 5 minutes they called him a roll back.

I hate it for the 911 owner. But it is best to be safe and get away from the car. You can replace a car(most) but they can not replace you...
koozy
The MFI cars have a risk of going up during a restart (amongst other things) after a stall. Funny little fuel squirters (cold start enrichment) prime the throttle bodies. I've seen several burnt air boxes from just such a scenario.
Zaney
Really?? They couldn't put it out with a Dry Chem / water combo attack?

How much bigger is the 911 engine block compared to a VW Bus case?

I have put out many Bug and Bus engine fires that were burning the Magnesium case too. You just need MORE GPM! And not be afraid of a little Snap Crackle Pop!

True, Magnesium, especially in shredded or chip form can get going really quickly and burn really hot!!! Then, you either let it burn out or use special extinguish products to encase the burning metal.

But, a normal engine case should not have ignited that readily. Who knows what else was in the engine bay or its condition that contributed to the blaze?

Either way, too bad for the little German car confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(koozy @ Aug 6 2010, 01:35 AM) *

The MFI cars have a risk of going up during a restart (amongst other things) after a stall. Funny little fuel squirters (cold start enrichment) prime the throttle bodies. I've seen several burnt air boxes from just such a scenario.

Those fuel squirters are nicknamed "fire starters" and most mechanics either disconnect them or hook them to a manual switch in the driver's compartment. In stock form, they inject a short burst of fuel whenever you hit the key. Well, a hot engine doesn't need that.

Mine has been disconnected on my MFI motor. The only drawback is longer cranking times to get the engine started when it is cold. I may hook it to a manual switch to make it start easier.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.