Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice from stranger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
So, I was at the gas station on the way home from work when this guy tells me my car has a "tick"

He was hanging out by the pay phone smoking on the last mm of his cigarette, no front teeth, eyes bloodshot, etc...
smoke.gif screwy.gif stromberg.gif

He tells me that he fixes cars, and that I need to put some pipe tape on the exhaust.

Good suggestion?

btw, I've already had AA try to fix the leak, they got it about 80% better but I'll need new components.

But, maybe this guys knows his stuff. wacko.gif
ME733
.........Muffler pipe tape can be a fire hazzard depending on the type..when oil soaked ,ANY of those "tapes" will catch on fire....reality check is that all porsches leak oil......the quality of that idiots work is representative of his apperance...too stupid to take care of himself...now how the hell do you expect him to take care of YOUR car?......Just an opinion.
realred914
your 914 should not be leaking oil. The quality of your car can be judged on its apperance, if it leaks oil to the point of fire hazard, maybe you need a new mechanic? I mean the appearance of the oil leaks must be representative of how you maintain your ride?

it was nice the guy with the last mm of cig could point out that he hears an exhaust leak. Probably shoudl not be ignored. if it is at the head, you can do damage to the head seal area by ignoring it.

what components were determined bad such that AA could not fix the leak?

Maybe we can come up with something, what did AA tell you?

If you have a leak in the heat exchangers, you could poison yourself with carbon monoxide. I would not take exhuast leaks lightly in an air cooled car that has heat exchangers for warmth, that can kill you.

get it checked out by someone that can fix it right, and assure safety of the heater
ripper911
I think I'll be getting headers, or maybe just new exchangers.

It's not that bad, and I don't use the heat.
Can't smell anything. smile.gif

I didn't say anything about an oil leak.
But since you mention it, my oil cooler is leaking. chair.gif

I was just amused about this guy giving out advice. screwy.gif
underthetire
Some of the best old school mechanics i've met are crusty old looking salty dogs. Hell, I met the captn in person, when is he ever wrong? happy11.gif
Ericv1
Real red is right. If a ticking can be heard it may possibly be from where the head and heat exchanger come together. If that's the case, you could do some damage to your head if you keep driving it around. I would start with a compression test and then a leakdown test to be sure.
Hammy
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 6 2010, 08:10 AM) *

your 914 should not be leaking oil.

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.