Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 140 Monza or '72 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearhead1432
I'm faced with an interesting situation. My 914 is still on the jacks, as the welding is not completed. On top of that is a long laundry list of other things that will need attention. Fuel system, wiring, and all the body work to name a few.

Just the other day a friend of mine offered to sell me his '67 Corvair for $1500. It's a 4spd with a 140 "4 carb" engine bored over (can't recall how much) and the susspension has all been gone though with springs, bushings, and sway bars. It's a "20 footer" as far as looks go and drives well. Dare I say I had to push my '04 R32 to keep up on some back roads. Down side is it smokes when on over run, like maybe it needs a valve job.

It seems pretty tempting to me. I have always liked the late model corvairs, like the stingers particulary. Would it be worth it to get rid of my 914 to make space for a corvair? Or would I end up really regreting it? I know there are some folks out there with a bit of corvair experience too is why I ask.

Thanks,
Rob
Dr Evil
The vair is stupid easy to work on and and inexpensive to fix. Keep both. Jeff at Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA has always taken care of me with my engine needs.
rick 918-S
I had one. Here's my old car. I built this from junk about 30 years ago. Custom mixed Wild Rose pearl lacquer. Hand made air dam. I'd get the car if I were you...but that's me.. screwy.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2010, 07:14 PM) *

The vair is stupid easy to work on and and inexpensive to fix. Keep both. Jeff at Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA has always taken care of me with my engine needs.

agree.gif agree.gif

Keep both - 914 & Corvair!!!! piratenanner.gif

If it's a factory 140 hp 4 carb - then it's probably a classier Monza model, & maybe worth a bit more - even if over-bored now! IMHO the 66 - on bodystyle was slick!! drooley.gif

We had several Corvairs in the family - including a Blue/White 2-tone `63 Greenbrier Van/Wagon that ferried my folks & us 6 kids cross country every year from San Diego back to Pittsburgh PA to visit family, & back to SD - in the heat of Aug. through the Southwest deserts with no A/C & pre-Interstates mostly!!!! blink.gif .... great memories though!
914Sixer
We had Corvairs and VW's when I was growing up. I helped my dad work on both. I drove several Monza Spyders in my teen years. Bad to the bone at the time, and probably still quick today for a old car. Keep them both if you can afford it.
zymurgist
2nd gen Corvair... that's the one with the Corvette style rear suspension. I loves me some 'vairs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.