Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I watched a 911 burn to the ground today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesclassicvws
I came up to an intersection today and noticed a 911 with smoke billowing out of the engine compartment. In less than 5 minutes the car was burned to a crisp. I later talked to the owner. He said the car stalled and he tried to restart and then noticed the smoke. He had an extiguisher but it was in the front trunk. Unfortunately by the time he got to it the car was fully invloved.

I asked if he had insurance for the stated value and he said no. I'm an insurance agent so I gave him the name of an appraiser who will give him a detailed appraisal to fight with his insurance company.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...6_4136877_n.jpg
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(davesclassicvws @ Aug 5 2010, 10:05 PM) *

I came up to an intersection today and noticed a 911 with smoke billowing out of the engine compartment. In less than 5 minutes the car was burned to a crisp. I later talked to the owner. He said the car stalled and he tried to restart and then noticed the smoke. He had an extiguisher but it was in the front trunk. Unfortunately by the time he got to it the car was fully invloved.

I asked if he had insurance for the stated value and he said no. I'm an insurance agent so I gave him the name of an appraiser who will give him a detailed appraisal to fight with his insurance company.

Ask about the motor, it is now a donor car! biggrin.gif

p.s. Just looked at the pic, man that sucked!
Cap'n Krusty
You haven't noticed the previous thread on the same fire?

The Cap'n
BigD9146gt
Another Targa bites the dust! Feel bad for the owner though, that would really suck.
Porscheman912
QUOTE(davesclassicvws @ Aug 5 2010, 08:05 PM) *

Yeah, another one burned up in Washington State too, I just got emailed about it, because they were trying to see if I know the guy. Well, maybe people will pay more attention to tuning their cars right, and quit trying to be cheap.
JRust
I see a peferctly good front suspension for my flared 914 there drooley.gif
realred914
well at least it was not a 914 that burned.

always have a HANDY fire extingusher. when seconds matter, you dont want to be digging thru a trunk to find it. mount it in the cockpit on a secure mount that is easy to get to. (experince speaking here)

bummer for a 911
patssle
What are the top reasons for a 911/914 to catch fire? What areas of the 914 electrical system?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 6 2010, 08:10 AM) *

What are the top reasons for a 911/914 to catch fire? What areas of the 914 electrical system?

Most 914 fires are due to fuel leaks at the brittle OE plastic fuel lines. If your '70-'74 car has had its fuel pump moved to the front of the car, then you've got an even worse scenario: the failure-prone plastic lines are now containing high-pressure fuel. Not a good combination.

No matter the location of your pump, you should install a set of Chris Foley's stainless-steel fuel lines. Weekend job. About a hundred bux.

Easy.
Cheap.
No fire.
realred914
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 6 2010, 08:10 AM) *

fuel leaks are probably top reason. the 914 had issues with battery acid droipping ont eh fuel lines. eating up the plastic, cuasing fuel leaks and resulting fire. once you got a fuel leak, there ae plenty of igniton sources, hot parts, and sparks abound in the engine bay

hence always make sure yoru fuel system is in good shape, dont ignore any weeping fuel, or strong fuel odors, nor cracked /frayed hoses, cracked injectors etc...

and carry the biggest fire extegusher you can fit, and have it handy. it may save yoru car, or help save someone elses.
underthetire
Battery acid won't affect plastic. Thats why the battery case is plastic. And it's usually the rubber lines to the injectors themselves that go. They get the most heat right next to the heads. Rubber lines will always go to crap before the plastic.
realred914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 6 2010, 09:38 AM) *

Battery acid won't affect plastic. Thats why the battery case is plastic. And it's usually the rubber lines to the injectors themselves that go. They get the most heat right next to the heads. Rubber lines will always go to crap before the plastic.

not all plastics are equal. the sulfuric acid does attack nylon, and does a good job at it. the fuel lines are a nylon based plastic and are NOT resistant to sulfuric acid. the battery case is likely polypropylene, which is resistant to H2SO4.

the factory had a recall speicifcally becuase battery acid was attacking the plastic (nylon) fuel lines.

I have worked with H2SO4 for decades in industry, believe me, it will attack nylon. But Polypropylene is resistant to it.

I have personally replaced the factory nylon fuel lines on a 914 that were damaged from battery acid. the sulfuric will attack it, no doubt about it.

Ps.....the solution is a sealed battery, no more acid leaks, YUCK!!! be done with it. acid on your car is so wrong in so many ways, eats paint, most metals, some plastics, pain to clean up. you dont want a batery that is not sealed in a 914 becuase of its location over critical componenets, and its xposure to rain/wash water that washes the acid down to these critical components below.
yeahmag
Agreed. When I replaced mine with SS the lines that were near the battery easily cracked/broke. The ones that ran through the tunnel seemed as good as new.
patssle
Great info! Think I'll do a close inspection of all my fuel lines.
Drums66
blowup.gif ..I've seen a few ...sad! sad.gif
BigD9146gt
That '76 (if stock) was CIS which probably still had thermal reactors... However, I did score a '76 that also was an engine fire, even with SSIs. The CIS has black flex fuel lines among the many rubber supply/return lines. CIS also has a pressure accumulator to keep 60+psi for startup conditions. If you don't keep up on the fuel line maintenance: burn baby burn, disco inferno.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Carry a fire extinguisher or marshmallows..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.