Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer is off by exactly half? - SOLVED!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
When I got my car the speedo & odo weren't working. I've finally got it all working (required new angle drive AND new speedometer). The speedometer is reading dead-on (verified w/ my gps) but the odo reads exactly half of the actual amount traveled!

OK, so sure this is a great way to keep the mileage low, but while I've still got the speedo unit out and cracked open I'd like to fix this if possible. anyone seen something like this before? I haven't been able to find anything in the archives.
70_914
Sorry if I sold you a bum speedo. I'll refund your $$ if you want. Let me know!

Kevin
detoxcowboy
I had mine apart at one time, and being it is exactly have, one of you tiny little gears is not doing it job or missing.. problem is unless your carefull and know what it is you want to do with the odometer gears you may destoy the configuration, even so if you know alot but do not have the right experience and tools.. cheaper if you count your time involved and easier too to either get another one or send it to...

they can install glass and a new ring while they are at it...

north holly wood speedometer..

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
bradtho
QUOTE(70_914 @ Aug 5 2010, 10:38 PM) *

Sorry if I sold you a bum speedo. I'll refund your $$ if you want. Let me know!

Kevin

not at all. I swapped my broken part out for the one in yours. I was hoping I wasn't the first to see this odo problem. My next step now will be to see if I can get your old odo working.

this is all part of the fun, right?
bradtho
so I cracked the thing open determined to figure this out. as I mentioned above I used a piece from a new-to-me speedo to get my old speedo running. turns out that all the worm drives had different thread sizes and gears. I pulled out all the shaft's from the new-to-me model and put them in my original unit. good to go! the fact that it was exactly half off was just coincidental.

so why didn't I just use the new-to-me speedo all along? well, face plate had yellowed and didn't match the rest of my gauges and I wanted to preserve the odo reading (even though it isn't entirely accurate).
70_914
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 7 2010, 12:26 AM) *

so I cracked the thing open determined to figure this out. as I mentioned above I used a piece from a new-to-me speedo to get my old speedo running. turns out that all the worm drives had different thread sizes and gears. I pulled out all the shaft's from the new-to-me model and put them in my original unit. good to go! the fact that it was exactly half off was just coincidental.

so why didn't I just use the new-to-me speedo all along? well, face plate had yellowed and didn't match the rest of my gauges and I wanted to preserve the odo reading (even though it isn't entirely accurate).

Glad my gauge could help you out!

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.