Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Input Needed Tach
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trying to protect my investment here and not blow-up my new motor.

I am looking at the Autometer Auto Gage line of Shift Light Tachs but don't really see a 5" In-Dash that has shift light on it. Maybe I'm over looking it? Will the 5" with pedestal fit in the dash? What are people using? Is there a better route than AutoMeter?

I've also wondered if I just need to try and Rev-Limit my Mallory D. I am running stock ignition and can't really find a module for the Mallory that I have in the car.

Thanks for any/all advise and/or input....

Ken popcorn[1].gif
realred914
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Aug 6 2010, 08:17 AM) *

Trying to protect my investment here and not blow-up my new motor.

I am looking at the Autometer Auto Gage line of Shift Light Tachs but don't really see a 5" In-Dash that has shift light on it. Maybe I'm over looking it? Will the 5" with pedestal fit in the dash? What are people using? Is there a better route than AutoMeter?

I've also wondered if I just need to try and Rev-Limit my Mallory D. I am running stock ignition and can't really find a module for the Mallory that I have in the car.

Thanks for any/all advise and/or input....

Ken popcorn[1].gif

well you could cheap out and paint a red mark on your tach. however if you found a tach that hooks up to your ignition , and it has a trigger for a warning lamp, you could shove that tach under teh dash or in the trunk, and simply use it as a trigger for a seperate dash mounted lamp? that way you keep the stock sixed stock tachometer, and simply add a warnign light anyplace you want. and you keep the five inch tach hidden out of sight. that would be one option . however there maybe correct diameter gages with a warning light circuit already, maybe keep looking else try what i suggest?

good luck
pcar916
I've never seen one with the light on the gauge, but if I wnated a light in the dash drilling a hole or using one that's covered with the existing vinyl would be a good place to mount one.

I have my Autometer ProComp-II in the dash and the pedestal-light on the steering column pointing right at my face. I'm not at home where the pix are or I'd include a shot. But I also have a three inch steering column extension so there's plenty of room for it. I don't know if the stock column/steering wheel would cramp the thing or not.

Good luck!
'73-914kid
I have an autometer Monster tach in my car. The pedestal unbolts from the gauge, and the shift light is clamped onto the gauge underneeth the pedestal.

I haven't found anything better than the Autometer style 5 inch gauges.. They are amazingly smooth and accurate.. I bought a used one for 60 bucks.. Still works perfectly.

The only problem, is that if your dash face is plastic, it will not hold the gauge very well.. The plastic kinda moves where it holds the gauge in, so I'd be sure to use a metal dash face, and then some electrical tape around the collar of the gauge to get it to fit perfectly.
yeahmag
Add a Mallory CDI 6AL (rev limiter model) and you will never look at your tach again and won't need a shift light.

Just my $.02

-Aaron
DBCooper
A good smooth and accurate tach is fundamentally important, and a shift light is a great accessory. Set the shift light just under the soft rev limiter and things all work as they should.

I have the VDO Eliminator 5 inch with the internal LED shift light. Programable and even data-logs. Mine's 9000 rpm, overly optimistic for a T4 motor, but a good fit for a turbo Subaru. Works great. There are photos in my build thread somewhere. The back body of the tach necks down so it kind of fits into the 914 tach bezel, just needs a little shimming. I can get you a part number if you like, but there's only one.
J P Stein
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 6 2010, 10:09 AM) *

Add a Mallory CDI 6AL (rev limiter model) and you will never look at your tach again and won't need a shift light.

Just my $.02

-Aaron

+1. I gave up the tach many moons ago...did add a big shift light tho......even saw it sometimes. Most uncontrolled over revs happen by mis-selection of gears. No electrics will stop that.
DBCooper
This is the VDO Pro Eliminator:

IPB Image

That data button is detachable and with a ribbon cable you can relocate it some place that's inconspicuous. Use the control to change shift light rpm's, replay the data log, etc. The pedestal just dismounts and it nearly fits into the 914 dash hole without fuss. Nearly, not quite. Since it's VDO the font is nearly the same as the other gauges. I don't have a good photo of the tach, but it's just to the right of the quad-guage. You can see how the bezel matches the other gauges.

IPB Image

It's a good match overall and will get a modern tach into the car. The needle is unbelievably steady. The shift light is just a LED, but it's pretty bright, especially at night when you're out drag racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.