Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats up with this vin #
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crxnug
can someone tell me if this is a 914 vin, this is the windshield vin, door vin is missing, 573291****. correct me if i wrong but i thought 914s, had 47..
poorsche914
QUOTE(crxnug @ Aug 6 2010, 04:30 PM) *

can someone tell me if this is a 914 vin, this is the windshield vin, door vin is missing, 573291****. correct me if i wrong but i thought 914s, had 47..

Is there a VIN on the passenger side front wheel well?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Probably a rebuilt salvage car with a state assigned serial number. That is the way they used to do it back then

QUOTE(crxnug @ Aug 6 2010, 01:30 PM) *

SirAndy

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
davep
agree.gif

Document this with lots of pictures please.
crxnug
i,ll post pics when im in shop tomorrow
crxnug
here a pic, not the best quality but does show the 5, the car does have a fender vin that begins with 47... but is totally different from the window vin
IPB Image

SirAndy
QUOTE(crxnug @ Aug 7 2010, 03:55 PM) *

here a pic, not the best quality but does show the 5, the car does have a fender vin that begins with 47... but is totally different from the window vin

Mhmmm, it appears to be the correct tag metal and shape and the font of the numbers (especially the leading 5) also appears to be correct.
(See pic below for comparison)

popcorn[1].gif Andy

IPB Image
davep
QUOTE(crxnug @ Aug 7 2010, 02:55 PM) *

the car does have a fender vin that begins with 47... but is totally different from the window vin

Well, if the window VIN is totally different from the fender VIN I would be rather upset.
Please send me the data from the Karmann badge and the fender VIN and I'll see if they match closely enough.
rick 918-S
What's on the title? That 5 is definately the correct number stamp. Interesting puzzle. DaveP is a real whizz with things like this.
scotty b
poke.gif poke.gif It's a Canadian car. Problem solved av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 6 2010, 01:06 PM) *

Probably a rebuilt salvage car with a state assigned serial number. That is the way they used to do it back then

agree.gif Check the front passenger inner wheel well and see if the VIN has been ground off. If it has, you can take lacquer thinner and rub in the wheel well and see what the original VIN was. Often done with recovered stolen cars and such.
Rob-O 1167
I don't know if its the picture or not, but it almost looks like multiple stamping as well. It looks like I can see other numbers under the numbers after the "5". Also, no matter how I try to imagine it, I can't understand the background of the picture. I see the steering wheel, but the rest of the dash area doesn't 'look' 914 to me. When I try to envision where the steering wheel is in relation to the rest of the dash, I expect to see part of the instrument pod 'hood'. I also don't expect to see that curve and the vinyl grain looks incorrect. Anybody else see this?
crxnug
i,ll try to get some better pics
Rob-O 1167
If you can that would be great. Most digital cameras nowadays have a macro feature for taking 'up close' shots. I know on Canon and I think Sony products the macro feature is turned on by pushing a button that looks like a flower. Regardless of the picture quality, it's obvious that it starts with a 5, which is strange. What was the number on the passenger side inner fender?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.