Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happens when a smog pump freezes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I live in CA. and it's time for my Registration so I went to the local smog station today and the guy pointed out that my pump was frozen. He took no money from me but said if I did not fix it I would not only pass the test but also screw up my EGR valve or something he pointing to down the line from the pump.

I stopped by the shop next door and my buddy looked at the pump and the lower pulley with mirror and said the bottom shaft had pulled out from a sleeve or something like that.

I thought some one could help me out on this. Can the bottom pulley be fixed with the Engine in the car? Does the sheath need to be replaced after the car is run for some time with a frozen pump and will it screw up the car to run it with the pump frozen like it is?

The smog guy thinks that when the next 2 years are up the 76 will not be on the same list anymore. I think when I bought this one 2 years ago we thought the same thing.

Thanks,

Bob
unsure.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If the enviros have their way, in 2 years the exemption list will be gone, and everybody will have to smog their cars. However, this is now, and you have to pass smog testing. Don't look for the 30 year rule to come back into effect, now or ever. You can replace the pump drive in the car, although it's a bit difficult. I have a couple of drives if you need one. Both are in excellent condition. If I were doing this job, I would replace even a working air pump as well, because seizure of excessive drag is what causes the drive to fail. Pumps are available for most cars from rebuilders such as A1 Cardone. Their stuff isn't all that good, but it's what's out there. If yours is frozen, you have no choice.

Now, here's what could happen. If you spend $450 on work directly related to trying to pass the smog check, and ALL the emissions equipment is there (working or not) and unmodified, then you qualify for a trip to the referee and a ONE TIME waiver. The kicker is that (I think) the work has to be done by a shop licensed to do emissions related repairs for this purpose. This forum is NOT the place for pinning down the rules! I'm a shop owner here in CA, and the shop next door is a smog station, but we don't always have the 100% up to date information on this stuff. Call the referee.

The Cap'n
patssle
I have never heard of a smog pump until now.

/Lives in Texas
SLITS
I have a rebuilder on-site that does water pumps and smog pumps (Riverside, CA). PM me if you need help.

A frozen pump can be the bearing failed and you hope the guts didn't wobble and gall the inside of the housing.

What it might screw up or it's already screwed up is the check valve (prevents exhaust gasses from entering the pump. It should be replaced when you change the pump anyway.
orange914
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 6 2010, 03:04 PM) *

I have never heard of a smog pump until now.

/Lives in Texas

kidding, right? slap.gif
DBCooper
On a 914 no, he's not kidding. You have California cars, back then the rest of the country got "49 state" cars. No pumps.
patssle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 6 2010, 07:24 PM) *

On a 914 no, he's not kidding. You have California cars, back then the rest of the country got "49 state" cars. No pumps.

My car would fail massively in California. Carbs and no catalytic converter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.