Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake runner reference
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Here's a compilation of original paint intake runners for anyone looking for reference material to color match to durning your restoration.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
I'm curious, though I think I know the answer to this.
The runners are painted gray (not certain of the mix), but are the cast bases painted the same color?
Pa
tod914
Pat all the same color. Maybe George would be as so kind as to post a picture of the NOS ones he has floating around his shop. smile.gif
914_teener

Does anyone know what the color mix is? I'm doing mine now. I thought there was a thread on this a while back. I can't find it?

Rob
tod914
Rob, the closest color match I seen in paint, would be 2000 degree Rustoleum high temp primer one of the members posted. The Wurth zinc primer is close, but I couldn't get it to stick well so opted for PC. I had the issues with Cold Galvanized paints. They wouldn't adhear well. The VHT Ford Gray high temp is abit dark and glossy, but maybe if you scuff it to take the sheen off, it will look right. The Dove Grey paint from Wolfsburg West is too green to match the OEM. I wouldn't suggest it. The duplicolor & VHT High Temp Primers are too light in color.
For Powdercoats, I used a Dove Grey and scuffed it down to give it a matt finish. The PC doesn't have that green tint to it. More blueish grey in tone. I'm very happy with the results. There is also a Signal Grey which would work just as well if not better.
I would post the links, but I just reformatted. I would try the Rustoleum. Maybe leave the original paint on so you can see how well it matches.
914_teener
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 8 2011, 06:30 AM) *

Rob, the closest color match I seen in paint, would be 2000 degree Rustoleum high temp primer one of the members posted. The Wurth zinc primer is close, but I couldn't get it to stick well so opted for PC. I had the issues with Cold Galvanized paints. They wouldn't adhear well. The VHT Ford Gray high temp is abit dark and glossy, but maybe if you scuff it to take the sheen off, it will look right. The Dove Grey paint from Wolfsburg West is too green to match the OEM. I wouldn't suggest it. The duplicolor & VHT High Temp Primers are too light in color.
For Powdercoats, I used a Dove Grey and scuffed it down to give it a matt finish. The PC doesn't have that green tint to it. More blueish grey in tone. I'm very happy with the results. There is also a Signal Grey which would work just as well if not better.
I would post the links, but I just reformatted. I would try the Rustoleum. Maybe leave the original paint on so you can see how well it matches.

Tod,

Thanks as always great post and help. Sounds like a matt finish looks to match best.

Rob
tod914
The POR15 Manifold Gray looks close, judging by the pictures I seen on the web. I might take a run over to their store next week and see if they have any samples out.
Pat Garvey
I asked Steve to provide some detailed pics of his runner, since his car is one of the "originals".

I want to refinish several sets to proper shade and luster.

Tod - your pics are helpfull, but they show age on the parts. I need to know exactly how they looked when new. I badly want to know if it was a matte, satin, etc finish.

No, I will not be going with powdercoating, though I've realized that some parts benefit from this. I'll strip & refinish these myself.
Pat
tod914
Pat, Picture 2 is from Dave Cheeks 76. Think it's a 22,000 mile car. Picture 3 is from my 74 which had 25,000 miles at the time. Picture 5 is from a 42,000 mile 75. I went with the PC, mainly because I couldn't find a close enough match in rattle can. Looking foward to see what you go with. If we could get George H. to post a shot of the NOS 1.7 runners he has, you'd have the correct finish without it being subjected to heat & polishing. Pictures of Steve's would be a big bonus as well. Hard to tell how they left the factory with so much variation between them.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 14 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Pat, Picture 2 is from Dave Cheeks 76. Think it's a 22,000 mile car. Picture 3 is from my 74 which had 25,000 miles at the time. Picture 5 is from a 42,000 mile 75. I went with the PC, mainly because I couldn't find a close enough match in rattle can. Looking foward to see what you go with. If we could get George H. to post a shot of the NOS 1.7 runners he has, you'd have the correct finish without it being subjected to heat & polishing. Pictures of Steve's would be a big bonus as well. Hard to tell how they left the factory with so much variation between them.

Tod,
Hard to tell what a fresh set of tubes would look like from the pics. Too many years of weeping frpm the gaskets & heat exposure. I'll ask George to post some pics of what he has.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.