Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator and tachometer stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I was driving around last night and I stopped the car. When I tried to restart it, it would hardly start and the tachometer would not work. The car did start however the starter hard a hard time turning. I got home and changed to a new battery that I had laying around. The car started right up, the tachometer still didn't work. After driving around more, I tried to start the car again and the new battery didn't seem to have much juice.

Is there a common wire to the alternator and tachometer that could cause this problem. I did feel like I may have kicked something behind the fuse panel however I looked and I didn't see any broken or disconnected wires.

Thanks again
brp986s
Sounds like ground fault to me. Maybe try disconnecting harness connection at battery positive and check resistance to ground. Zero? disconnect alternator at starter and at relay plate. check alternator lead to ground. Still zero? Bad alt or wiring to alt. Once I had a short in the harness where it comes thru the tin next to the alt. Not nice.
underthetire
Well, yes there kinda is a common wire. I believe there is a +12 that powers the tach and the alt lamp in the tach. If the lamp does not have power, the alternator won't charge.
Spoke
Was the generator light on?

What voltage did you measure at the battery when the engine was running.

What voltage at idle? When revving?

Check Fuse 9. With key on, you should have 12V on both sides.
tornik550
Thank you to everybody for their advice. It would have been somewhat hard to diagnose however since there was mention of fuse nine, I specifically checked the wires for fuse nine and one came unattached. Now everything is ok. Thank you very much!
tornik550
Thank you to everybody for their advice. It would have been somewhat hard to diagnose however since there was mention of fuse nine, I specifically checked the wires for fuse nine and one came unattached. Now everything is ok. Thank you very much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.