Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: What kind of Car is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
It looks to me like it was the Maserati *M* on the steering wheel....
is that what it is?

Anyone recognize the track?

http://www.lombardydrive.com/scratch/ultima17.mpg

http://www.lombardydrive.com/scratch/ultima14.mpg

http://www.lombardydrive.com/scratch/ultima16.mpg
John
Was that an AIRPLANE on that bridge?

It must be in europe since there are POSTS sitting on the apex of those turns. (Are those supposed to be pylons?)

I haven't been there before. I would have noticed an airplane on a bridge......
Brad Roberts
It is a "Ultima".. look at the end of the link. The car in the video's has a "Stack" data acquisition dash.

B
Jeroen
The crown on the steering wheel is the logo of "Personal" (a steering wheel brand)
Do a Google on ultima cars, they're pretty cool

cheers,

Jeroen
richardL
Sorry, but that is certainly not Silverstone - Silverstone is an old airfield so is wide open - no significant trees and only very gentle elevation changes. I am *Fairly* sure thats Donnington Park in the midlands, which is a very nice track that is also upto F1 standards. Its been a while though....

Also I think this is an Ultima, that I saw at Nurburgring last year - notice they are street legal!

Richard
richardL
Also...

Tom Wheatcroft, who rebuilt Donnington also runs a very large auto museum nearby. I think the airplane on the bridge is an outline of 'Thrust1' the car that broke the speed record/sound barrier several years back - its a billboard for the museum

Richard
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 12 2004, 12:33 AM)
It is a "Ultima".. look at the end of the link. The car in the video's has a "Stack" data acquisition dash.

B

I did notice the Ultima word in all three links, but since I'd never heard of an Ultima, besides the nissan car, I figured it was more of an adjective (sp?) like, Ultimate.

Great noises on the videos, regardless of what type of car.

Thanks all.
aufaber
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Apr 12 2004, 01:01 PM)

Great noises on the videos, regardless of what type of car.

Thanks all.

Chevy V8 cool.gif
Crawf
Not sure on the track could be donnington, the car that is overtaken last is a Noble M12 which is another road legal 'track car'.

The M12 is a sub 1000kg, 2.5 v6 twin turbo, 310bhp mid engined rocket.
vortrex
what a great looking car, pretty cheap to get into also. for $40k or so it seems as though you can get a nicely optioned GTR kit, even free shipping! they use porsche transmissions.
Bruce Allert
Gawd! look how low that sucker is ohmy.gif I'll bet it's a kick inda ass to drive beer.gif

.....b MDB2.gif
airsix
For years I've been very currious about the Ultima. Sure it's got the power, but does it have everything else? I mean, is it "all that" from a performance standpoint. I've never heard or read a serious critique of the design and performance. What are it's track times comapred to vehicles of similar power/weight ratios? Basically, I'm asking: Is this thing a true supercar on par with other well-engineered designs, or is it just a plastic pig that hides it's shortcomings with a huge powerplant?

-Ben M.
vortrex
with the base 345HP chevy SB here are some stats I found on the web.

0-60mph 3.30s
0-100mph 8.40s
0-Quarter-mile 11.90s
Top speed 253 km/h
Power-to-weight 329.2 bhp/ton

at 2300lbs, 5" ground clearance, mid engined with 40F/60R weight distribution I'd bet it does ok for itself.
Randal
I though the track looked a lot like Brands Hatch in the UK, but I haven't seen the track for 30 years or so.

The number plates on the other track cars look like UK license plates.
airsix
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 13 2004, 08:56 AM)
0-60mph 3.30s
0-100mph 8.40s
0-Quarter-mile 11.90s
Top speed 253 km/h
Power-to-weight 329.2 bhp/ton

But see, that's what I'm talking about. Those stats are all straight-line performance numbers. You can get the same numbers out of a '69 Ford Maverick if you put a big engine in it and wide enough tires. As far as ground clearance and weight distribution... those numbers could just as well describe a Fiero and we know they don't handle all that well (terrible bump-steer, etc.).

I want to know how it does against other supercars when it comes to braking, slalom speed, skidpad, etc. I guess what I'm asking is "Is the chassis any good?" Is it's design on par with the likes of Lotus/Porsche/Ferarri/BMW/etc.? I'm not talking about the horsepower, or the quality of the stitching on the steeringwheel cover - I'm talking about the performance potential of the chassis and suspension design. Who did it? How much research and developement was involved? Is this a car that looks like a little 962 and performs like one too, or is it just a cool looking hot-rod?

By the way, as you know I live in the middle of nowhere, but there's an interesting shop here in town. A friend of mine does their wiring harnesses. Check this out.

-Ben M.
vortrex
here's some other stats from a different site, take them for what they're worth.

Performance
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: 8.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 11.9 sec @ 124 mph
Skidpad: 1.02g
Top Speed: 204 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 110 ft
Slalom Speed: 71.9 mph

CORVETTE Z06

0-60 mph: 4.5 sec
0-100 mph: 10.5 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.7 sec @ 113 mph
Skidpad: 0.98g
Top Speed: 171 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 123 ft
Slalom Speed: 68.5 mph

PORSCHE GT3

0-60 mph: 4.6 sec
0-100 mph: 10.6 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.8 sec @ 112 mph
Skidpad: 0.97g
Top Speed: 186 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 120 ft
Slalom Speed: 66.9 mph

PORSCHE CARRERA GT

0-60 mph: 4.0 sec
0-100 mph: 9.1 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.4 sec @ 116 mph
Skidpad: 0.99g
Top Speed: 205 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 115 ft
Slalom Speed: 68.7 mph

FERRARI MODENA

0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 10.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.8 sec @ 112.5 mph
Skidpad: 0.96g
Top Speed: 189 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 110 ft
Slalom Speed: 67.4 mph

LOTUS ESPIRIT

O-60 mph: 4.4 sec
0-100 mph: 11.0 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.0 sec @ 112 mph
Skidpad: 0.93g
Top Speed: 175 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 125 ft
Slalom Speed: 68.3 mph

MCLAREN F1

0-60 mph: 3.2 sec
0-100 mph: 6.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 11.1 sec @ 138 mph
Skidpad: 1.00g (est.)
Top Speed: 243 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 127 ft
Slalom Speed: 64.5 mph

FIERO

Top Speed 125.0 mph
0 - 60 mph 8.4 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 0.817g
soloracer
Check this site out:

Racing Stories

Go to chapter 3. About 1/4 there is a write up on the Ultima that competed - or what was left of it. I have all his video's and that Ultima sure sounded nice with the Ford 302.

P.S. I got a laugh out the comment for the car that finished in 3rd place.
drew365
I was at that hillclimb. Finished 30th in my 2 ton cruiser. The Ultima got more attention than any of the exotic machinery that was there. When he went over the side he hit a road sign that bent part way over and pointed the nose of the car up in the air. The corner worker said it looked like a jet taking off. ohmy.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 13 2004, 09:47 AM)
I though the track looked a lot like Brands Hatch in the UK, but I haven't seen the track for 30 years or so.

The number plates on the other track cars look like UK license plates.

Not sure what track it is but I'm sure it's not Brands Hatch. Brands Hatch has a bit of a dip then an uphill bit after turn 1 which this track doesn't have.
richardL
As you say Brands Hatch has a hard right at the end of the pit straight, then a big dip into a hairpin right. I remember being at a British GP many years ago at Turn 1 and Clay Regazonni (sp?) in the Ferrari losing a wheel. It bounced right over the fence and into the crowd, missing everybody.

I am almost certain its Donnington

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.