Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT oil lines, front to rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigD9146gt
So I'm starting on a GT oil line kit for my car, and I want something a little bit different than the factory.

DWDesignWerks style 1: I'm planning to have one line on each side, under each rocker, go up and over the front wheels like the 911's do, and down to below the headlight bucket and in. In the engine compartment, there will be a hardline that brings the oil back over to the tank side, either above or below the engine mount. Not sure how well this will jive with those who don't have a stock engine mount or RichJohnson style engine mount (as this is what I have and will make it work with both).

DWDesignWerks style 2: The same routing as above, but both lines on the left side, so both lines would run over the left front wheel.

Factory GT style: The factory used a thermostat that mounted like the early 911s, on the tank with lines going all over the place (but still looked clean). From where the -4 left side engine mount is (which isn't on the 914-6 chassis), both supply and return to the front cooler start with threaded end fittings. They bend forward under the rocker, one line goes above the jack post, the other below. They continue under the rockers into the front wheel area, make a sharp bend into the drivers compartment where I believe threaded fittings are soldered on. Then flex line connects, hugging the inner fender well at your feet, under the clutch pedal, through the chassis under the gas tank, but above the steering rack tunnel. Then into the front truck and to the oil cooler.

Pricing on these will obviously be a deciding factor in your decision, I don't see any reason why the factory GT style would cost more than $600, and the DWDW would be $900. One of the advantages I am going for is reducing the cost of flex line, which adds up quickly. I'm running a Mocal metric threaded thermostat, however I won't supply this or the flex lines.
carr914
I could find the pictures of my Factory lines, so here are a couple out of my library

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
mark allin already does the GT ones were 750 , elephant racing does a kit like the 911's 1600,
I think you should find out what the peeps are willing to pay, and or design your own and offer it up for sale.
http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhandling/...plumbingkit.htm
jmill
Has anyone done a simple loop cooler like the 911? That's what I planned on running. It avoided all of the cutting and the fancy airdam.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Aug 7 2010, 05:19 PM) *
One of the advantages I am going for is reducing the cost of flex line, which adds up quickly.

Wut? confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=893543

My total bill for the lines and fittings was much, much less than $600 ...
shades.gif Andy
db9146
mark allin

Pardon me for a brief highjack but does anyone have his contact info?

Thanks
BigD9146gt
Andy, I can't argue or agree more. I personally don't like oil lines in the cabin. That being said, if I was building a rally car, they would be in the cabin with a sheet metal shroud protecting them from the passenger/s. But for a street car, I'd rather they be outside. The price of flex line is based on Cohline/factory lines, which are unreasonably more... and me being an OEM OCD nut, thats what I base my numbers off. If you can do it for cheaper, by all means.

Cheers, d
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 7 2010, 08:51 PM) *

mark allin already does the GT ones were 750 , elephant racing does a kit like the 911's 1600,
I think you should find out what the peeps are willing to pay, and or design your own and offer it up for sale.
http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhandling/...plumbingkit.htm

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 7 2010, 10:00 PM) *

mark allin

Pardon me for a brief highjack but does anyone have his contact info?

Thanks

Mark, doesn't make them anymore, he's too busy with his high-end restorations. Chicago Pete would have his contact info though.

A friend of might be getting a good tube bender and I might be able to duplicate my lines
BigD9146gt
Thanks for the pics TC! I wasn't able to get the rockers off the factory GT that was at my buddies shop. Do you have a pic of the forward connection from inside the foot well. I'm curious where the flex lines start and go to the cooler.

Cheers, d
John
I can't find what I was looking for, but I know I have one.

The fittings are just inside the inner long. The flex lines wrap around under the carpeting piece.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
carr914
My Lines are Fitted biggrin.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
PMB performance
in progress
IronHillRestorations
I like the idea of one on each side. I think it would make fitting them on the car easier.
SirAndy
Can't vote ... dry.gif

There's no "Other" option.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.