Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding/patching holes in trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Good morning,

Two weeks ago I started out thinking I was merely going to replace my front shocks, now I am up to my elbows in repairs and replacements. And Costs!

I have found about 6 dime sized holes in the botton of the front trunk that I would like to patch. I know if this car was a boat it would sink ! Anyway, I was thinking of cleaning up the area around each hole and welding a small patch over each hole. welder.gif

My question for the group is: Are there better ways of dealing with this problem, and more importantly, I read some time ago that when welding on the 914, one should disconect some of the FI components or something to avoid frying the electronics. I did plan on disconecting the battery, but surely it can not be as simple as that ?

In closing I would like to thank all who have responded to my pleas for help with removal of the ball joints etc for I used 3 or 4 of the suggestions to get the job done.

Before closing, I also had a question about my wheels and tires. I have Reveria rims with some off brand APEX 165 tires. The tires are not very wide and I know my 10 speed bike has more rubber on the road than do these. I some day want to get better tires, however, there is almost no clearance between the rear tires and the fender. It appears to be caused by the Reviera wheels and the lack of a big offset. I recall reading that some people have their fenders "Rolled" to accomidate bigger tires. Could someone explain what "Rolled is? I think one person said they used a baseball bat, or was that just a joke? I rolled a whole car once; But I do not think that is the type of body work they were refering to.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, you actually use the bat or similar object to roll the fender lip, Might be better to get some rims with the proper offset.
IronHillRestorations
Yes, just be sure to disconnect the battery.

I wouldn't roll the fenders for a set of Riviera rims. Those aren't the best wheels for a 914, they'll work but the offset/backspacing isn't optimum. The best thing to do is to get your order in for a set of those special offset 7" wheels in either 15" or 17" diameter. Next best option would be to get some real 914 wheels, Mahles or preferrably Fuchs. These will give you the best tire size options and won't rub.

By the way I've got some new Yokohama AVS in 195/60 15" for a good price.

PK cool.gif
Dave_Darling
Yes, weld patches on. Make sure you clean everything up nicely and use a good weld-through primer.

Disconnect the battery, (-) terminal first and then (+) terminal... Just to be safe. I'm paranoid, I would also unplug the ECU for the injection. Attach the ground lead for the welder somewhere close to the work area.

Ditch the Rivs, you have ones with a VW Bug offset. There are 914 ones out there, or you can get factory 914 wheels. Fuchs are the lightest and strongest.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.