Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Dr Evil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Feeling like I didn't need to watch video again on my second transmission, I jumped in. BAD DECISION. Got out of synik right off. Pushed down 5th gear selector before I wiggled out the shifter console thingy. Had taken it loose and had removed the nuts holding the tail piece. Started to pull up gear stack and spotted my error. Now, the shifter console won't slip/wiggle out. How do I get back in netrual, ie get the 5th selector up or whatever I need to do to continue?

PS Will have my DVD player playing ALL the time for now on.
Cupomeat
I'd suggest to PM him, or send him an email. He is a busy doctoring and might not see this as it falls down the line.

His email is on the DVD face.

I hope this helps.
bandjoey
Who's the guy he sold the business to? It's hard to remember "Jim" after DR EVIL. We need a new moniker like NURSE NANCY for the new expert lol-2.gif

After he helps out damnfiknow, how bout he starts a poll for a new name so we'll remember how to find him?

I'm sure he'll welcome suggestions from us. popcorn[1].gif

Damn. and Good Luck in getting this handled.
Cupomeat
Yes, his 914world name is RJMII and he is Jim McIntosh.

We should try to disseminate this info, but then again, perhaps he wants to do it officially someday.
RJMII
I'm sorry, I'm working on an answer for you, and don't mean to leave you hanging.
charliew
Thats how you learn from screwing up. Once that happens you remember a lot better.
RJMII
(I wasn't able to find the pictures I was looking for, so here is what I've got w/out the pictures or references to them and their explanation)

Is it stuck to where you are unable to push the gearstack back in, and get the shift selector back in place all the way to shift back into neutral?

Re-assemble it to where you can shift with the console, to where the shift rods are sticking up again. smile.gif You should be able to back through your steps and get to the point where you're able to remove the shift console.
Richard Casto
It looks like Jim it taking good care of you and steering you in the right direction. I do want to throw out another option if his suggestion doesn't work (and what he is saying is what you should try first and that should work).

It's tricky to do, but if you support the lever on the end of the shift console (the part at the end of the rod with the ball on the end), you can use a punch to remove the pin that holds the lever to the rod. Once removed, you should be able to remove the console and then snake the console rod out of the transmission even if it is in gear. It basically just gives you more wiggle room than you have with the console assembled.

The trick to doing this is to make sure the lever is supported by something other than the console so when you use the punch, you are not putting a load on the console. Don't just bang on it with the load being taken up by the rod, console and transmission.

I had to do this just the other day on a transmission that was stuck in gear and would not shift back into neutral.
Dr Evil
Typical rookie mistake poke.gif rolleyes.gif If what Jim said didnt work, then you just do what Richard said. Both are my students wink.gif
Richard Casto
How did this end up? Did you get the shift console and gear stack out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.