Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much force to push pistons back into calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
DaveP is doing me a new set of front calipers but while I'm waiting I'm trying to free up the front right. It was dragging pretty hard and was the only thing that the car failed on its safety check. If I can get that caliper freed up I can start driving.gif

I followed the haynes instructions for freeing up a stuck caliper. Took out the pads. Put in some wood shims. Applied the brakes until they moved. Felt a little pop as the first side moved. Then a pump or two later the second side moved. So far so good. Now I'm trying to lever the pistons back in but they won't budge. How much force should that take? I feel like I'm putting way more pressure on it than it should need. Starting to wonder if I might have a swollen softline.
ejm
Open the bleeder and see if you can push the piston back. You are correct about a bad hose causing the original problem.
tomeric914
You didn't mention in your post, what kind of condition you found the pistons and cylinder bores in? The pistons usually clean up pretty easily with some 600 grit paper. The bores you hopefully honed.

If your calipers have knockbacks in them, they will take some force to put back together.
realred914
yup open the bleeder and see if that helps, if it does, then I would suspect your rubber hoses maybe restricted or the master check valve is stuck closed. the pistons should go back in freely (I am assuming they were still retianed in the caliper and that teh caliper is still mounted to the car with rotor.

if the pistons are al rusty, then it sohould all come apart

good luck
swl
sorry it took so long to close the loop. It was the caliper - new ones work great. Thanks DaveP!

The "open the bleeder" bit was brilliant. Kinda smacked myself for not thinking of it.
davep
Now get out there and DRIVE!
swl
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 3 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Now get out there and DRIVE!

Took it back for reinspection and now the tie rods ends failed headbang.gif

Going to get a set of turbos and do it right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.