Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me or...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
BMXerror
We've got Jon prepping a GP car, the Stoddards and 'Bam914' both prepping DSP machines, Britain well on his way to nationals in FP, Jodi Fordahl already with FP nationals experience, and me prepping a DP machine. Is this wave an unusual thing, or is it more of a constant 914 stream? I'm new to SCCA, so I don't know if this is typical or not, but I sure don't see many teeners in my region. It would be bitchin if we could put up fights in all those classes simultaneously! cheer.gif
Mark D.
grantsfo
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 8 2010, 04:45 PM) *

We've got Jon prepping a GP car, the Stoddards and 'Bam914' both prepping DSP machines, Britain well on his way to nationals in FP, Jodi Fordahl already with FP nationals experience, and me prepping a DP machine. Is this wave an unusual thing, or is it more of a constant 914 stream? I'm new to SCCA, so I don't know if this is typical or not, but I sure don't see many teeners in my region. It would be bitchin if we could put up fights in all those classes simultaneously! cheer.gif
Mark D.

I actually see fewer 914's at SCCA events over the years. I think biggest part of reserecting a 914 presence with SCCA Solo 2 is actually going to the big events. So far I see a lot of talk but only 2 people actually going to big national tour events on the west coast. I see one 914 registered for Nationals. Think thats the lowest number in a while?
J P Stein
It takes TM&E to make a Porsche work in the SCCA. Most Porsche guys are all
ga ga over the 911 when it comes to time, money , & effort.....which is why it's so much fun to whupp them at AX biggrin.gif A buddy is in the process of spending a lot on a 911....and he is one of the best AXers I know. I keep telling him that the 911 ain't gonna work cause the engine is in the wrong place & the pig is too heavy....but the cool factor seems to over ride that. biggrin.gif Hay, he likes green more than yellow so what can you expect? confused24.gif

On a slightly different note, either one of those 2 EP 914 F/S in the cassifieds would make a hell of a good start for a hot dog AXer. You might not realise that till you had to duplicate them. Shit can (sell) all the track gear and go play.....& save a bundle along the way.
grantsfo
The one car that is starting to get some attention in my area is the Cayman. Seeing more of them showing up to SCCA events and kicking butt. AS, BSP and SSM seem to be good classes for those cars.

We have a SSM Turbo Cayman that with right driver could be very fast. 500 HP with nice suspension mods etc. Although its turbo is too big and takes forever to spool and he doesnt know how to left foot brake.
brilliantrot
A Turbo Cayman may be fast but I don't want to be around to pick up the pieces when it blows up. 500hp out of m96 just doesn't sound like a good idea not to mention the transmission problems they have.
J P Stein
The SCCA in it's wisdom put the 2009/2010 Cayman S in SS....nowhere'sville.
grantsfo
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Aug 10 2010, 01:44 PM) *

A Turbo Cayman may be fast but I don't want to be around to pick up the pieces when it blows up. 500hp out of m96 just doesn't sound like a good idea not to mention the transmission problems they have.

Its actually M97 motor which appears to be handling turbo fine. This is his second season with no big explosions.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 10 2010, 07:19 PM) *

The SCCA in it's wisdom put the 2009/2010 Cayman S in SS....nowhere'sville.

Got to love SCCA. They put 330 HP 2010 370 Z in C stock. Cayman goes to SS.
J P Stein
The newer Caymans would be a natural for AS as would be the Boxters in STR but the SCCA will never make a Porsche an overdog in any "street car" class....supposedly because of the cost of doing biddness. The SCCA's "preferred cars" are pretty obivious. Most are owned by the SEB menbers, me thinks.

A friend bought a new Caymen S with all the good options.....the SEB has a point there.....it is a pretty sumbitch tho.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 11 2010, 07:26 AM) *

The newer Caymans would be a natural for AS as would be the Boxters in STR but the SCCA will never make a Porsche an overdog in any "street car" class....supposedly because of the cost of doing biddness. The SCCA's "preferred cars" are pretty obivious. Most are owned by the SEB menbers, me thinks.

A friend bought a new Caymen S with all the good options.....the SEB has a point there.....it is a pretty sumbitch tho.

Let me see a 2.5 or 2.7 boxster for under $10K verses a new MX5 for $25K. Thanks for looking out for my wallet SCCA. LOL!
J P Stein
It's our own fault in some ways....Catch 22ish. Because the rules are not in Porsche's favor, Porsches are few & far between at SCCA events .....we get no representation on the SEB and no support. Porsches go play in their own backyards for AX. If Non-Porsches were allowed at Parade, Porsches would never win.
Joe Ricard
Drivers wallet is not thier concern.

Boxster S and Cayman S are in A-stock along with the Mac Daddy Carrera 4S Lotus Esprit Mazda 3rd Gen RX-7 (winner)
Should be a good fight.
All Registered A-stock drivers have National Champion Jackets except 3 and they are no slouches.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 8 2010, 03:45 PM) *

Mark D.

I'm doing my best this year to help the cause. cheer.gif

I have ran in 6 Great Lakes divisonal solos in DSP. In my little SCCA region I am running against a Neon SRT4 in DSP, most time I beat him, but I have to admit He did get me twice this year. mad.gif

The last divisonal was Grissom AFB near Kokomo Ind last weekend. Got my ass handed to me, but I have learned alot. For me I have always been kind of half ass about solo racing. After running at the divisonals I have a greater need to be more serious about this. Don't get me wrong, it's still about having fun, but it is time to step up off the porch and kick it up a notch. Once I know for sure how my job is going to be after the first of the year I would like to build a dedicated AX 914 for SCCA.

I ran an old F Production 914 in XP last year (Moby) with 3.0 six in it, holly crap was that fun. I sold it this spring for various reasons (I know should have keep it), but I think I would either build for XP or SSM when the time comes. I can't bring myself to modify my 914 anymore that it is, I wan't it to be a street car also.

Stay tuned........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.