Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finished console installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
I finished fitting a console in my 914 today. Pleased with how it turned out. cheer.gif There's only just space for my big right foot on the gas pedal, though - feels like it may catch on the brake pedal if I'm not careful...

IPB Image
Cupomeat
Looks Great! smilie_pokal.gif

Where did you get the vinyl to cover the new 4 hole piece?
jjbunn
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 8 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Thanks, Eric.

The vinyl I bought on Ebay as a roll a couple of years ago - it was cheap, but looks great. (Getting it to lie flush around the holes was difficult, as you maybe can see!.)
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 8 2010, 05:28 PM) *

you can get vinyl/leather for Porsche at Pelican Parts by the yard..
rickthejetman
you did a great job on that console. is that a cap on your dash? i was thinking aout one of those if yours is a cap it looks great
jjbunn
QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Aug 8 2010, 10:08 PM) *

you did a great job on that console. is that a cap on your dash? i was thinking aout one of those if yours is a cap it looks great

It's a Coverlay. It looks better in the photo than it does up close - I had a real game making it glue down properly around the gauge binacle, and it has a couple of small cracks in that area.
qa1142
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 8 2010, 04:25 PM) *

I finished fitting a console in my 914 today. Pleased with how it turned out. cheer.gif There's only just space for my big right foot on the gas pedal, though - feels like it may catch on the brake pedal if I'm not careful...

IPB Image

I actually chose to take out my console because I felt it gets in the way when I drive. Same issue.
windforfun
Looks great!!! I had to remove mine. I wear a size 13 & there simply wasn't enough room unless I drove bare footed.
jjbunn
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 9 2010, 11:10 AM) *

Looks great!!! I had to remove mine. I wear a size 13 & there simply wasn't enough room unless I drove bare footed.

I wonder whether the console side that sits to the right of the driver's foot, and which is already angled inwards, could be angled a bit more (by removing the spacer block at the rear of the console) to gain some extra foot space?
zx-niner

This is one of the reasons I went with the Amco console. Here's a photo from early in my install.

Click to view attachment

As finished. The downside is that the wires are visible, but they do not interfere with my foot on the throttle.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 9 2010, 03:24 PM) *

I wonder whether the console side that sits to the right of the driver's foot, and which is already angled inwards, could be angled a bit more (by removing the spacer block at the rear of the console) to gain some extra foot space?

Probably.

sawzall-smiley.gif
windforfun
Think there's room for a small beer cooler?

beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

jim_hoyland
Beautiful workmanship on the center console. I had to drive without shoes to keep from "hooking" the center console after a couple of emergency stops. Finally removed it and went to a Getty 5 gauge dash to get the foot room back.
markb
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 10 2010, 07:20 AM) *

Beautiful workmanship on the center console. Finally removed it and went to a Getty 5 gauge dash to get the foot room back.

agree.gif
70_914
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Aug 9 2010, 04:16 PM) *

This is one of the reasons I went with the Amco console. Here's a photo from early in my install.

Click to view attachment

As finished. The downside is that the wires are visible, but they do not interfere with my foot on the throttle.

Click to view attachment

Where do I get one of those? That looks great!

Kevin
EdwardBlume
Nice work on the install! Job well done! beer.gif
zx-niner
QUOTE(70_914 @ Aug 10 2010, 03:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

They are no longer available new but sometime come up on e-bay where I found mine. I felt quite lucky to get one in such good condition, and it had working gauges! Winning bid $300.
70_914
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Aug 10 2010, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(70_914 @ Aug 10 2010, 03:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

They are no longer available new but sometime come up on e-bay where I found mine. I felt quite lucky to get one in such good condition, and it had working gauges! Winning bid $300.

sad.gif After selling off excess pieces of my cars $300 is about what I have invested in both...

Guess I will stick with the factory console.
jjbunn
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Aug 9 2010, 04:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Very nice, Steve ... does the bulge at the top of that unit not interfere with your knee? Also, what is the big air tube behind it for? (Not to cool your gauges, presumably?!)
zx-niner
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Aug 11 2010, 09:09 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Very nice, Steve ... does the bulge at the top of that unit not interfere with your knee? Also, what is the big air tube behind it for? (Not to cool your gauges, presumably?!)

I put an A/C outlet near my feet believing one on the dash would interfere with my knees. It turned out there was plenty of room under the dash and I have since added an outlet there. The wider stack of the Amco does not hit my knee, either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.