Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
So, the right side hinge area of my trunk has been messed up all year, it has been completely loose and I have to finesse it back in to position as I close the lid.

Now the left side has broken, what do I do? Is is an easy fix?

I think it is the plastic looking wheel that has failed, as it is missing on the right side entirely and on the left side I can see where it has broken a peice off.

I have been able to keep the trunk up using the left side only, but this morning I had to support the trunk with my back while pulling out the top, I don't want to have to do this often, I'm sure my chiropractor would agree.

I was thinking about getting a stick, but placing the top in and removing it may prove difficult that way.

I don't do much work on the car myself, But I'm not totally inept, just busy.
azbill
The last time I checked you can get replacement nylon rollers from Pelican or Auto Atlanta. Use a small pipe about 18" long to force down the spring. Or you can replace the springs and forget the rollers and install 914 Camp truck lid shoxs. A much better solution.
Ian Stott
I got rid of mine and installed the Camp 914 trunk shocks, trunk lid now stays up all the way and accessing/changing my air filter is way easier.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Spoke
If your remaining wheel is flatten on one side, turn it over and use the non-flattened side. Unlike a flat tire, these wheels are only flat on one side and when on the car, they don't turn but about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn when raising/lowering the trunk lid.

Be careful with these springs as they have tremendous pressure and can fling a tool across the garage and hit something or someone...
underthetire
Just order the Delrin ones from 914rubber. They were pretty cheap and work perfect.

Oh, and a 1/4" socket extension fits right over the end of the spring. Piece of cake. Took less than 5 minutes for both sides.
ripper911
Yay! Easy answer!
piratenanner.gif
Yep, I think the one thats left is flattened on one side so I'll try to put it back until I get new ones.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't want to have to second guess going topless because of it being a PITA
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am sure that the trunk hinge cup is broken. It is fairly easily replaced, the replacement procedure comes with the replacement cup and we have the stock replacements as well as the reinforced ones. The key is to make the tool from a 1/2 inch breaker bar with which to retension the spring rod.

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 9 2010, 04:34 PM) *

So, the right side hinge area of my trunk has been messed up all year, it has been completely loose and I have to finesse it back in to position as I close the lid.

Now the left side has broken, what do I do? Is is an easy fix?

I think it is the plastic looking wheel that has failed, as it is missing on the right side entirely and on the left side I can see where it has broken a peice off.

I have been able to keep the trunk up using the left side only, but this morning I had to support the trunk with my back while pulling out the top, I don't want to have to do this often, I'm sure my chiropractor would agree.

I was thinking about getting a stick, but placing the top in and removing it may prove difficult that way.

I don't do much work on the car myself, But I'm not totally inept, just busy.

pilothyer
Personally, If I were you and I lived as close as you do to AA I would simply make an appointment with "The Doctor".........If you don't know what you are doing, (or even if you do) those springs will bite you quicker than a velvet tailed rattlesnake.....Get your car to the doctor before you have to get yourself to one, because of those rear trunk springs can and will hurt you and your car...........Jerry
ripper911
I always take my car to AA, but it's usually with a list of things at once, hopefully with some time in between visits. It's not quite time for a visit to the Doctor yet, financially.

I am a very careful person and I will attempt to get it working if I can for now.

The things I see at work have taught me to be very cautious in all situations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.