Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Update on 66 Benz 200: Need some opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bfrymire
Some of you may remember me posting about getting a 1966 Mercedes 200 with a blown headgasket.

Hum. But, I was never sure that this was a blown headgasket. As I have stated in the past, no oil in water, no water in oil, no steam in exhaust and compression is good.

But water was disappearing, and the car was overheating...

Well.... Here's some interesting photos...

First, notice the loss of material around the lower hose attachment point. Then see the hose, with a nice hole in it where it attaches. (All the indications, are that the coolant has not been changed in a very long time. not good for an engine with an aluminum head.)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally, the backside of the water pump, where it goes into the block was COMPLETELY blocked with corrosion! I poked at it with a screwdriver and was promptly drenched with all the water trapped in the block!!!! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

So, should I continue and do the head, or take a chance and button it all back together?

Experts pipe in please!

-- brett
LotusJoe
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Aug 9 2010, 10:56 PM) *

So, should I continue and do the head, or take a chance and button it all back together?

Experts pipe in please!

-- brett

I would go ahead go through the head. More than likely your going to find that electrolysis has eaten the inside of the water galleys within the head. The water galleys are going to be like the aluminum pipe. But who knows you might get lucky and the engine continues to work. In my case I changed just the water pump and associated piping only to end up pulling the head a month later and ultimately rebuilt the entire engine.
bfrymire
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Aug 10 2010, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Aug 9 2010, 10:56 PM) *

Experts pipe in please!

-- brett

I would go ahead go through the head. More than likely your going to find that electrolysis has eaten the inside of the water galleys within the head. The water galleys are going to be like the aluminum pipe. But who knows you might get lucky and the engine continues to work. In my case I changed just the water pump and associated piping only to end up pulling the head a month later and ultimately rebuilt the entire engine.

thanks for the response!

This is kind of what I am afraid of... The top half of the thermostat housing was completely gone, how the hose ever stayed on, is a mystery to me....

I have seen alfa romeo's with the heads complete eroded away, because the PO never changed the coolant.

<sigh> This car may get an engine transplant. Was kind of hoping to drive it a little with the original powerplant in it...

Anyone else have a thought?

-- brett
Cupomeat
Seeing what you've shown, the only course of action is to tear the engine apart and see what else you find.

Sorry, but this requires further investigation for this engine.

While you have it out, find a 4.5 from a grosser and swap it in!
biggrin.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 10 2010, 09:28 AM) *

Seeing what you've shown, the only course of action is to tear the engine apart and see what else you find.

Sorry, but this requires further investigation for this engine.

While you have it out, find a 4.5 from a grosser and swap it in!
biggrin.gif

<sigh> Have to agree. I have a feeling this motor is toast. The good news, the engine bay is HUGE. You could fit just about anything in there...

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.