Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Options for Replacing Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
So I have finally got my pedals and linkages working to get the car running. Yay me!

Only to discover that the rear end of my exchanger pipes are now corroded. (early type HEs on 2.0 block)

So I'm smelling some fumes; not sure from where. Only the rear of the pipes look bad but I'd rather just swap it all out.

I don't need heat so what are the CSOB options? I have a bursch type muffler and pipe that hooks up to the 2 pairs of pipes.

So can i remove the HEs, and have a muffler guy weld pipe from the J pipes to the bursch?

Stock HE pipes have that sexy curve. Do the replacement pipes need the curves for power or to fit? Are there any specs for recreating these pipes without the heat boxes?

I've seen a 4 into one header on ebay for $250 but I would need a new muffler setup too...plus too expensive.

How much should a muffler guy charge to make these 4 pipes? Thanks

realred914
i think there are ready made headers availbale with no heat for the 1.7 style bursch muffler, which is what I think you say you have. get them and be done. the better custom headers are tuned with teh correct length pipes for optimal performance . talk to the different vendors, call around to see what folks have that works, what motoer you have and expected torque vs rpm you desire, as the header design effects torque and when you see it verse rpm. do some research.

if you want cheap and want no heat, and are happy with stock perfromance, some one woudl probably give you a pair of used stock heat exchangers with ruined sheetmetal, you could then strip off the sheet metal, rendering them useless for heat, adn have the sexy stock curves for near no cost.

for sure stay safe and dont drive if yoru smeeling exhaust in the cabin, that can kill you and others. very dangerous. the heater valves should close to prevent that, so i assume your heater valves are not closing correctly. make sure they are closed so you smell no exhaust in cabin if you still want to drive it, keep your windows down.

messix
to keep from getting gassed you could just cap off the warm air duct at the flapper box [thats the thingy that has a cable hooked to it in the engine compartment by the fire wall connected to the h/e.] just pull the hose off and cap the duct off with some plastic caps that you could find at the hardware store.
tradisrad
are you smelling exhaust or burning oil? if it is exhaust then you have a hole in the exhaust pipe. if it is oil you need to clean it off and fix any leak!
used stock exchanger are plentiful and inexpensive, or drop a some extra coin the the stainless steel HEs.
I enjoy having a heater...
7TPorsh
Car runs good for a driver and that is all I am looking for. Squeezing a few hp or lbs. here or there isn't too important.

I know i have holes in the pipe at the rear end where the pipes curve upward before the flanges (only passenger side is bad that i can see.)

I don't know how bad the rest of the pipes are inside the boxes and if anything is coming into the cabin. Haven't had it up on a lift; do i need to remove them to inspect?

i don;t mind putting on a decent pair of stock exchangers to have heat and keep things "right". I usually only see stainless for big $$ or really, really nice stock. Shipping is tough too.

A local set would be great but thought that just replacing them with plain pipes would be the most cost efficient way to go. (spare money is going to DMV for back reg.....bastards).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.