Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open invite and call for help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
RFoulds
As you might have seen elsewhere on this site and others, I just bought my fourth 914, this time a well preserved 1974 Olympic Blue, that has been in storage for over 20 years.

So first, this is an open invite for anyone near La Quinta CA to come by and see it anytime you like.

And second, a call out for any advice or help to put this car back to dealer showroom condition. Also, what shows I should consider entering once she is complete.

One of my first dilemnas is the side stripes. Were these dealer added? or factory? Should I leave the slightly worn originals in place?, replace them with repros, or remove altogether??

Randy
Bleyseng
Dealer accessory item applied by the dealer or you!
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm
Tom_T
agree.gif

..... well in part, since the decals were subbed-out by the factory, albeit 911/912 style ones up to 73 MY (Positive) & then as a specific add-on for the LE's & for "personalization" programs of Porsche approved accessories made specifically for the 914 (Negative). Even the LE's side stripes were added by the dealer, even though it was part of the LE option package (you can read more at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 CANAM website).

Randy - if your side-stripes are getting worn &/or if you'll be repainting, then you'll probably want to get some new repro vinyl decals to put on there. AA, RicoSuave/mikez (sp?) at member vendors & some others sell the repro side stripes, & IIRC somebody said that the new Boxster Spyder sidestripes will fit & are retro to the 70's look too.

Of note, I think that most ~ not all ~ print ads by Porsche+Audi for the USA market featured the side-stripes on 914s, obviously looking to strengthen the Porsche tie as a Posrche in this market! Here are a few examples -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I personally like the look of the sidestripes, & I've seen CW winning 914s with & without them. It's probably a matter of taste - so long as it's done in the proper period style/color stripes. If you plan to show it beyond local PCA Concours events, then you may want to check it with the Nat'l. Concours Chair at PCA.

shades.gif
Tom_T
Note item "D" in the Porsche+Audi dealer "official Porsche" accessories brochure -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

IMHO - it's pretty hard to say that a 914 is not original in it's fitment, if someone has the sidestripes. shades.gif

Also note in my prior post that the positive sidestripes were used on early 74 MY 914s, until such time as the 74 MY 914-2.0 LE's negative sidestripes came out in Spring of 74, & thereafter the had negative ones. Although I know that you could still get either from the dealers back in the day (at least here in SoCal - LA & OC), even after the negative ones came out.

BTW - your new Oly. Blue one looks schweeet! drooley.gif

Join PCA if you're not a member already, then you'll have many CdE show opportunities over there in the Coachella Vally & Indland Empire, as well as over here "on the other side of the hill" in OC, LA & San Diego Counties for Zone 8. Being SoCal - there are a lot of nice Porsches, but we need to give those dang taildraggers a run for their money in the CW world! biggrin.gif

Then IIRC the Parade is in Salt Lake City for 2011.

Hope this helps re. the sidestripes. Keep asking if anything else comes up!

popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
Just don't add the bumper rails! barf.gif
Restore the steel wheels or find a set of nice Fuchs and buff out the paint.

From the pics it looked like the most work will be in the engine compartment! sad.gif
Krieger
Well.... show us some pictures. I am too far away to come by.
RFoulds
Thanks everyone for the great info! I think I am leaning toward replacing the stripes with the same style. I just rejoined PCA, I had let my membership lapse a couple of years ago. Its a shame the PCA isn't more active here in Coachella Valley. Next will be the COA, and researching which wheels were on the car. If it was the steelies, back on they will go.

And yes, the engine bay is where the most cleanup is necessary. I am in the midst of listing everything that will require attention, and then work begins.

As for pics, I am waiting for my camera to vvome back from repair. Any day now! Then I can post pics as I go.

thanks again everyone.

And Jeff, you may not remember this, but it was conversations with Randy Weitzel and you that got me into 914's in the first place, about 10 years ago!

Tom_T
Randy - don't know how soon you'd be ready with it for show, but Santa Barbara Region CdE is 10/10 in Camarillo, if that's what you wanted - even if just to go & watch the judging, see P-cars, etc. OCR just had a good one a couple of weeks ago.

Also look for their Judging schools & attend one - if only just for the info on how to play the game. I did so & found out that originality isn't judged until the nat'l or regional level - the rest being a "cleaning anality" contest! biggrin.gif

The ad was for info on the sidestripes only, & I don't like the bumper overrider bars either - & "repetitively redundant" on a 74 with F&R "tits" any-hoo! I also don't like the luggage rack cuz it puts holes for new rust in the R deck lid & it's overkill with 16 cf in 2 trunks!
.... albeit necessary on the seriously trunk-space challenged 911/912/356 types! biggrin.gif

If you didn't get the window sticker &/or original dealer BoS with the car's records showing the options, then get yourself a a COA from PCNA on the 914, so you'll know what the original options were. You may have either Fuchs 2L, Mahle 4-lug, Pedrini or Steelie - then you can decide whether to stick with the original or upgrade as if a dealer option wheel as per those 1st 3 available then in 74 MY (IIRC those accessory brochure pages were from 72 MY & I found them at Bowlsby's classic 914 website).

I'm not sure what paint Bleyseng/Geoff is talking about stripping paint off of the Fuchs 2L wheels? - since they were polished rims & petals/blades & a satin finish aluminum background (not painted), & anodized all over. If you have or get a set of those, then Al Reid in Anaheim or Wiedeman Wheels in Oroville can restore them to OE finish & re-anodize them for you to look pristine.

BTW - if that 914 only has 25k on it & the paint is in good shape overall - then consult the PCA Zone 8 & Nat'l rules for CdE Classes (available online), because the Preservation/Unrestored Class has a certain max. of the paint etc. which can be allowed to change, & it's something like 20-25%.

So that only allows for some airbrushing & touch-up/chip repair, but not a total repaint. It may also apply to other owner personalizations/changes beyond the Windowsticker/Dealer BoS/COA. Otherwise you'll be in the Restoration class,which seems a waste for a low mileage gently used example such as yours!
shades.gif
RFoulds
As for wheels, were the Rivieras a dealer installed option? In that accessory vrochure, it jusst states, "alloy wheels."
Since it says "8 spoke" I assume it means the Fuchs?
RFoulds
Wow! great info. thanks! keep it coming! Paint is all original, never been touched up, and from the depth of it, barely ever polished. Good shine for something not polished at all. I plan to carefully clay bar, mild polish, glaze and then finish with a sshow qquality carnauba.
I tested the chrome with a soft metal polish wadding, and all marks came right off. no pitting at all on door hanles or bumpers.

This week, I hope to drian and remove gas tank, change fuel lines and fuel filter clean tank and replace. After that, I will get into the engine bay and see if I am going to be dropping the engine or not.

muncokiho
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 11 2010, 02:54 PM) *

Wow! great info. thanks! keep it coming! Paint is all original, never been touched up, and from the depth of it, barely ever polished. Good shine for something not polished at all. I plan to carefully clay bar, mild polish, glaze and then finish with a sshow qquality carnauba.
I tested the chrome with a soft metal polish wadding, and all marks came right off. no pitting at all on door hanles or bumpers.

This week, I hope to drian and remove gas tank, change fuel lines and fuel filter clean tank and replace. After that, I will get into the engine bay and see if I am going to be dropping the engine or not.

The steel wheels are what came on the car which still have the original tires on them. What are you going to do with all the door dings?
Tom_T
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 11 2010, 12:44 PM) *

As for wheels, were the Rivieras a dealer installed option? In that accessory vrochure, it jusst states, "alloy wheels."

Most dealers back then would install anything to keep a customer happy & make a buck - even aftermarket wheels! biggrin.gif

My buddy who is the original owner of a <61k mi 71 914/4 had polished Westerns on his - which the original intended buyer requested before he backed out, so Jerry got it with them & a few other accessories already on it at little or no upcharge IIRC. The standard wheel choices of Porsche wheels for the 914s in your 914's 74 MY would've been Pedrini, Mahle or Fuchs 2Ls - all others were aftermarket. That brochure was from 72 MY - so the Pedrini in the pic & highlighted in the diagram was a Pedrini 15x5.5J, but the other 2 alloy wheels types came out for 73 MY - i.e.: in mid-1972 CY.

Take a look at the O&H nailed threads under wheels & tires, as well as "The few, the rare..." for more info & pix of original wheels in OE finishes. Steve G's Sahara beige is a late 73MY 914-2.0 in the latter nailed thread, with original finish Fuchs 2L wheels, lugs & center caps. The main difference between your 74 MY 2L & the 73 MY 2L's, was that the 73's in the US market pretty much all came "fully loaded" with the Appearance & Performance Groups' options, whereas the 74-76 MYs made everything optional at extra cost - including wheels, ergo you could choose between the 3 alloy types. Ergo, 73 MY 914-2.0's won't show those as options/groups on the COA, but the 74-76 will show them as options & window stickers for all items will generally list the "included optional items" as "N/C" on 73's.

So if yours has the chrome bumpers, sail/rollbar vinyl/bright trim & center console (IIRC chrome bumpers from the pix of its delivery), then it probably originally had one of the 3 factory alloys on it coming from the factory, then was later changed to Rivs. Many people back then preferred the look of Rivs (myself included), & now regret getting rid of the OE alloys - again, myself included - at least for not buying a set of 5 back when they were cheaper & could've stayed NIB until I wanted to swap them today! sad.gif

IIRC they were about $50 each from the local P+A dealer in 75/76 - vs. about $100-150 ea. for a decent restorable wheel today, plus $70-140 each for Reid/Weideman to restore to their new OE glory (depending on what all needs done & whether re-anodized). That's more for one in CW shape today, then a set back in the day! dry.gif

I bought my 73 2L in 12/75 with Rivs, but it originally would've had the Fuchs 2L's - but I don't know if that was a dealer change, OO/buyer request, or later change - since it was one of the early 73 MY 914-2.0/"914S" which were subject to the BO wheel recall & the dealer may have substituted the cheaper Rivs to keep the more expensive Fuchs 2L exchange wheels to resell at 100% profit. They did do a spare swap for a steelie - so they got at least one of my Fuching Fuchs! dry.gif
I'll be putting 5 Fuchs 2Ls back on mine in the resto at my own expense now. sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(muncokiho @ Aug 11 2010, 02:04 PM) *

The steel wheels are what came on the car which still have the original tires on them. What are you going to do with all the door dings?

Are you the OO/PO & seller to Randy, or just know the car well? confused24.gif

If the original owner, then you can help fill in most/all of the info gaps & paperwork for Randy, beyond what you may have already provided him as seller.

If not the original owner, then it's incorrect to say that all 74 2L's came with steel wheels, because it was an extra cost option on them in 74 MY.

As for dings - paintless dent repair is the best option. PCA-OCR had a demo a couple of months ago by a local shop in Huntington Beach (a PCA sponsor) on how slick that worked on a newer Boxster, so IMHO that's the way to go, then do paint chip repair &/or airbrushing to touch-up any other paint defects, scratches, chips, etc. Their should be a paintless dent repair affilliate out in the Desrt Communities somewhere, just check the the PCA Chapter &/or a dealer. Walter's Porsche in Riverside may know.
muncokiho
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 11 2010, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(muncokiho @ Aug 11 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Are you the OO/PO & seller to Randy, or just know the car well? confused24.gif

If the original owner, then you can help fill in most/all of the info gaps & paperwork for Randy, beyond what you may have already provided him as seller.

If not the original owner, then it's incorrect to say that all 74 2L's came with steel wheels, because it was an extra cost option on them in 74 MY.

As for dings - paintless dent repair is the best option. PCA-OCR had a demo a couple of months ago by a local shop in Huntington Beach (a PCA sponsor) on how slick that worked on a newer Boxster, so IMHO that's the way to go, then do paint chip repair &/or airbrushing to touch-up any other paint defects, scratches, chips, etc. Their should be a paintless dent repair affilliate out in the Desrt Communities somewhere, just check the the PCA Chapter &/or a dealer. Walter's Porsche in Riverside may know.

I know the car, it is not a 2L. The steel wheels should have come with the car they were in the barn with the original tires still on them.
Tom_T
QUOTE(muncokiho @ Aug 11 2010, 03:27 PM) *

I know the car, it is not a 2L. The steel wheels should have come with the car they were in the barn with the original tires still on them.

Dang! I wish I could track down the original buyer/PO who sold me my 73 2L or someone like you who knew it back before I got it! ... lotsa questions! sad.gif

Just so others reading this later don't get confused - both the 70-76 MY's 1.7/1.8 & 74-76 MY's 2.0's could be ordered with the 3 optional factory alloy wheels, or so optioned at the dealers originally (all/most 73 MY 2.0's had the Fuchs on them as one of the "included no extra cost upgrades/options over the 73 MY 1.7s).

The original dealer bill of sale &/or window sticker - if available - is the most reliable source for what was originally on a 914 (& PCNA will give you a COA discount if you send in a copy of it/them with your order IIRC), since the COA is often wrongly interpreted by the staff there & the Kardex records from which they create them are often incomplete, inaccurate, etc. It took me 3 tries & a complaint to the customer service GM with copies of period docs for color codes, to get them to correct an erroneous "interpretation" of #31 as black instead of the proper Beige interior color (#11 is black).

That all said Randy, a COA is still worthwhile for a 914 like yours & to display at the CdE shows, while the BoS & window sticker are your best friends for authenticity.

BTW - if they were originally steelies, then the silver painted "star mag look style" steel wheel is the proper one for your 74 1.8 (assuming it was never factory or dealer optioned with 1 of the 3 the factory alloy styles). There are good pix in the nailed wheels & tires O&H topic, to compare with the ones from the barn.

I say this, because dealers often swapped wheels with whatever was at hand, & "borrowed" wheels from one car for another customer, &/or to keep more valuable wheels for part resale at a higher profit, than if they bought same from the distributor. There's a good discussion of how & why that came about in the wheels & tires thread, but basically the dealer could swipe 4 spares from a 914 (5 alloys came from the factory with each 914 - not 4) & substitute a cheap steelie, then with 4 such "thefts" they could resell another customer a set of 4 optional alloy wheels taken from other unsuspecting buyers 914s - & do so at pretty much 100% profit, that being close to what their typical profit margin for selling one 914 was back then! dry.gif
tod914
Before you peel off the stripes, you might want to make sure the paint under the decal isn't a different shade. Aligning new ones to cover the difference in paint fade/glue stain, might not be that easy. Definetly go with steel wheels. Not often seen and they were original to the car.
RFoulds
The stripes have an inch or two missing on each side. from what I can see, the paint did not fade or discolor under there, but I wonder about leaving them on in their as-is state, sort of a patina of wear.

dents will be easy to massage out from backside, a skilled body man and a good set of tools is just a phone call away. no chips or cracks on them that I can see yet.

I am going to shine up and refinish both sets of wheels, and use the steels for show and the Riv's will either be sold or kept for rolling around the shop.

Muncokiho, did you see the car in Rockwall?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 11 2010, 01:44 PM) *

No, Fuchs were 4 spoke. Rivieras (totally non factory) were five spokes, though they may have been a dealer installed extra in some states. Whatever, Rivieras were never a Factory authorized wheel (for a reason - weak).

There were some Minilite knockoffs that were installed by some dealers, but I don't think they were 8 spokes (can't remember).

But in all cases, depending upon the year of your 914, the "factory authorized" wheels were very limited.

I woul suggest you search the archives of this forum to get correct wheels from the factory.
Pat
muncokiho
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 11 2010, 06:18 PM) *

The stripes have an inch or two missing on each side. from what I can see, the paint did not fade or discolor under there, but I wonder about leaving them on in their as-is state, sort of a patina of wear.

dents will be easy to massage out from backside, a skilled body man and a good set of tools is just a phone call away. no chips or cracks on them that I can see yet.

I am going to shine up and refinish both sets of wheels, and use the steels for show and the Riv's will either be sold or kept for rolling around the shop.

Muncokiho, did you see the car in Rockwall?

I did see the car in Rockwall. Were the brakes or engine froze?
RFoulds
Wheels were not frozen. brakes and bearings moving freely. engine is unknown right now. I'm not taking any chances though. engine will be coming out in the next few weeks to be evaluated properly.

RFoulds
Found the tool kit last night. It was under the spare, nicely wrapped in a towel and a bag. Looks like it has never been touched. Still has a black rubber band around it. Of course the jack is in its place, rear trunk.

Where was the tool kit originally placed? Was it secured?
Bleyseng
isn't there a pic in the owners manual? I thought the tool kits were stashed in the back with the jack but I can't recall whats in the manual.
RFoulds
Didn't think to look there! thanks!
Tom_T
I'm pretty sure the towel wasn't OE Randy! biggrin.gif

I ended up using either F or R trunk for my tool kit (still in plastic pouch btw), depending upon how I was packing the car for a trip, etc. I usually found the rear with the jack more convenient otherwise. Manual pic will show it for your 74, my 73 manual might be different, so I didn't look for you.

You can also look here for proper 74 MY tool kit contents & other OE fitment info -

http://www.p914.com/p914_tools.htm
http://www.p914.com/

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/ (some useful 74 MY info, even for your 1.8)

These will be great resto resources for you in a number of areas, as well as the 914 info section on here.
RFoulds
Pulled fuel tank today. Sorry no pics, camera still not back from repair. very clean underneath, but the front two bolts for the underpan were missing. Wire was stuck in there to hold it on!
tank is half full of old gas, and all rust inside. Filler tube is rusted away inside.
Under tank, one black wire ran down from above, with a quick connector right at the access hole. Any idea what that was? was fuel pump locate here at one time??
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 10 2010, 04:00 PM) *

I total agreement!

The stripes were a local, Factory OK'd addition. Not supplied by Porsche (at least in the early years). You either had the dealer monkeys apply them (the same ones who couldn't figure out which fender to drill for the antenna), or did them yourself (easy).

Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 14 2010, 04:26 PM) *

Pulled fuel tank today. Sorry no pics, camera still not back from repair. very clean underneath, but the front two bolts for the underpan were missing. Wire was stuck in there to hold it on!
tank is half full of old gas, and all rust inside. Filler tube is rusted away inside.
Under tank, one black wire ran down from above, with a quick connector right at the access hole. Any idea what that was? was fuel pump locate here at one time??

On pre-75 914s, the factory recommended fuel pump relocation Service Bulletin was/is to put it up behind the steering rack cover behind the ZF Rack itself next to the lower access hole. Power can be wired either along the pass. side rocker/sill space or through the tunnel - but most mechanics don't want to screw with this extra work & it's not accessible for inspection later for a wiring problem. This would require 2 wires for power the FP though, so that's either half the set or something else.
RFoulds
Still not sure what the wires there are. Fuel tank was not salvageable. So many HUGE chunks of rust, no way it can be cleaned up and recoated to usable condition.
Filler neck was so rusted that it was a solid block of rust inside. Sending unit shot too.

But, on the plus side, I dropped the car at Desert Motorsports to have the engine evaluated, before I begin anything else. They tell me the engine turned easily, and they feel that replacing hoses, fuel pump and tune up is all thats going to be necessary to get it started.

I'm going to chase down a replacementt tank this week, get it out to them and let them get it running..

Once they have that accomplished, then I will bring her back home for all the rest of the work.
JeffBowlsby
I'd like to see that service bulletin Tom...can you send it to me? Never heard that the factory recommended this relocation, but I have not come across any 914 service bulletins either. All I have are the Service and Tech manuals, and recall campaigns, I don't recall any of them ever suggesting the FP relocation.

I have also never experienced vapor lock here in NorCal, ever. Maybe it occurs in hotter climes, but not here that I personally know of.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 15 2010, 09:20 AM) *

On pre-75 914s, the factory recommended fuel pump relocation Service Bulletin was/is to put it up behind the steering rack cover behind the ZF Rack itself next to the lower access hole. Power can be wired either along the pass. side rocker/sill space or through the tunnel - but most mechanics don't want to screw with this extra work & it's not accessible for inspection later for a wiring problem. This would require 2 wires for power the FP though, so that's either half the set or something else.
Tom_T
Hey Jeff,

I don't have that bulletin per se, but my longtime mechanics at Hans Imports used to have it on-hand in the "old school" paper file days - & I remember looking at it in the binder when they suggested the FP relo for vapor lock back in the late 70's (& did it then).

I can ask them if they happen to still have their old VoA & P+A Service bulletins/binders to make a copy, but I'm not holding my breath cuz they've cleared out most old stuff over the 30+ years since!

Also, I tried to get a set of the service bulletin binders myself on evil-bay a while back, but wasn't successful bidding for it - & don't even know how complete they were.

If I do come across an actual copy again - &/or anything else similar on our 914s, then I'll certainly shoot you off some copies.

You might want to link your 914 Tech Notebook section to the main 914 CANAM & Classic 914 main pages, because IIRC they don't have a link, but it's chock full of excellent info!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 17 2010, 12:28 PM) *

I'd like to see that service bulletin Tom...can you send it to me? Never heard that the factory recommended this relocation, but I have not come across any 914 service bulletins either. All I have are the Service and Tech manuals, and recall campaigns, I don't recall any of them ever suggesting the FP relocation.

I have also never experienced vapor lock here in NorCal, ever. Maybe it occurs in hotter climes, but not here that I personally know of.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 15 2010, 09:20 AM) *

JeffBowlsby
Thanks Tom. I have heard rare and vague references to 'service bulletins' in the past, but have never seen any. I am not sure they even exist given how generic that term is. I do have a complete set of the Service and Training manuals though, they were issued to train the dealers as new models were intriduced, explaining the differences. I would put them up on the site but they are copyrighted.

My 'Tech Notebook' does have a link to it on the main 'Classic 914' page if its easier to find. If its not showing up on your browser...clear your memory cache and refresh.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 17 2010, 04:49 PM) *

Thanks Tom. I have heard rare and vague references to 'service bulletins' in the past, but have never seen any. I am not sure they even exist given how generic that term is. I do have a complete set of the Service and Training manuals though, they were issued to train the dealers as new models were intriduced, explaining the differences. I would put them up on the site but they are copyrighted.

My 'Tech Notebook' does have a link to it on the main 'Classic 914' page if its easier to find. If its not showing up on your browser...clear your memory cache and refresh.

OK - I probably just missed the link.

I'm not positive that they were called specifically "Service Bulletins" - but you get the drift. They weren't a part of the factory manual set, unless there's an "extra binder" for them. These would've been issued over time to the P+A dealerships' service depts., & my guy Hans was a factory trained (on 914s etc.) mechanic with his own shop - so he had a way to get them too.

Most any car make/model has these as the level below a recall type fix, & my 85 BMW 325e had several pertaining to the A/C controls, which drove Hans & his guys crazy until they found them & debugged my A/C after a complete system overhaul & conversion to R134. So I may be remembering the BMW term of art for these "service bulletins".
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 14 2010, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 10 2010, 04:00 PM) *

I total agreement!

The stripes were a local, Factory OK'd addition. Not supplied by Porsche (at least in the early years). You either had the dealer monkeys apply them (the same ones who couldn't figure out which fender to drill for the antenna), or did them yourself (easy).

Pat

Pat & Randy - IIRC, the dealers were selling the same early style "PORSCHE" side stripes as accessories for both the 911/912 line & 914s since the late 60's (67 or 68 IIRC when they were first added to 911's/912's). Then in 74 with the intro of the LE's, they came up with a 914 based negative stripe/decal, but those also got put on some customers' 911s/912Es back in the day.

I don't know who their OES's were, but the decals were copyright/trademark controlled, ergo had to be "approved" by Porsche for manufacture. Otherwise, they would've closed them down, as they did with the makers of the 914 rear reflector accessory made specifically to fit the 914 rear panel (as opposed to the cut down 911/912/930 rear reflectors used after that point).
RFoulds
Just an update. OE steel wheels are being sandblasted and primed, then a coat of satin black on the backside, and a few coats of Wurth White (really silver) wheel paint on front side.

I ordered the paint from a California vendor, so I didn't have to content with the "can't ship into CA" ordeal.

Again, the Wurth white looks like a better match to the mid-70's vintage steel wheel finish than the Wurth Silver.

Not sure about the satin black for backside of wheel though.

Tom_T
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 25 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Just an update. OE steel wheels are being sandblasted and primed, then a coat of satin black on the backside, and a few coats of Wurth White (really silver) wheel paint on front side.

I ordered the paint from a California vendor, so I didn't have to content with the "can't ship into CA" ordeal.

Again, the Wurth white looks like a better match to the mid-70's vintage steel wheel finish than the Wurth Silver.

Not sure about the satin black for backside of wheel though.

Never can tell about those backsides bootyshake.gif Randy! lol-2.gif

IIRC, that O&H Wheels nailed thread has a good pic of the OE finish F & R - incl. the dusting look. When you get done, plz post pix of yours & the paints info. in there, as well as this one - so others have the benefit of your work.

Was that the Wurth Wheels White or whatever they call it? IIRC they also sell that at BavAuto for the BMW wheels refinishing (I have an 85 325e).
RFoulds
Hey Tom,

Yes, I checked the O&H wheel post and that helped me decide to go with the White Wheel paint instead of the Wurth Silver.

Spoke with Terry at Goodspeed Motoring and he recalled using the Wurth White on a 80's Volvo with good results. I researrched that finish, and to my eye, it looks a lot more like what I think the original steelies look like.

So, I ordered 3 cans, (they are huge) from Goodspeed.

I can't wait to get the wheeels back to give this a try.

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
Not that this should be an issue, but the exterior paint is not clear coated. I oxidizes, even when stored. With that in mind, Know that your Oly Blue will have faded, but not inderneath the side stripes so much.

So, if you want to bring the paint back to it's original form...remove the sttripes (slowly, with a hair dryer) & then go after the rest of the car with petrochemical compounds. When you can no longer see the shadow from the stripes, youre done.

I've had positive & ngative stripes during the 38 year ownership of my 914. I prefer none.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 25 2010, 01:33 PM) *

Hey Tom,

Yes, I checked the O&H wheel post and that helped me decide to go with the White Wheel paint instead of the Wurth Silver.

Spoke with Terry at Goodspeed Motoring and he recalled using the Wurth White on a 80's Volvo with good results. I researrched that finish, and to my eye, it looks a lot more like what I think the original steelies look like.

So, I ordered 3 cans, (they are huge) from Goodspeed.

I can't wait to get the wheeels back to give this a try.

IPB Image

That "White Alloy" name sounds like some of the German-to-English translations of parts names in the Porsche 914 PET parts catalog - like "desk pad" for the side mirror base gaskets! I guess the Asian translated electronics manuals aren't the only ones with strange translations! biggrin.gif

I think that's the one recco'd for my painted alloy wheels on my BMW too.
Niklas
Hi!

Yes the colour is a european colour code RAL 9006.
It is standard paint on many german cars.
You can also find it on ebay.de search for RAL 9006.

Niklas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.