Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Misfire on my 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
I am having a real weird misfire on my 3.2 in my 914.

There is a misfire on the drivers side.

I have headers with glasspacks welded directly to them, so I have the true dual exhaust to notice there is a misfire on that one side.

I decided I was going to let it idle, and I would pull the plug wires out to see if it was that cylinder. Weird thing is, which ever one i pull on that side, the idle doesn't change, and it doesn't sound like the exhaust note is changing. All three did the same thing. Obviously I didn't pull them all out at once.

So, this leads me to believe that it isn't a cylinder specific thing. So, it's not like a spark plug wire is bad.

I just did an oil change. I also replaced within 1000 miles the spark plugs and wires, with NGK plugs, and Magnecor wires. I also changed the cap and rotor.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It was doing this with the old wires and the new ones on a cold motor. Which I have heard is typical Motronic/Porsche/whatever. Now, it does it all the time.

I am in major need of a valve adjustment, but fail to see any correlation between the two problems.

Thanks in advance guys.

- Brett Smith
agentblr
When you replaced your wires,did you also replace the resistors? they can and will fail,you can check them with a multi meter.If those check out I would look for a fouled plug, Motronic ignition seems pretty hardy doubt thats the prob.
TimT
The magnecore wires have a much better connector on them than the BERU connector... the connectors arent an issue with magnecors

Get a noid light and check the injector pulses...

At what RPMS does it misfire?Idle ? mid range? flat out?

If its an idle misfire, you could have some questionable injectors... As the RPM increase the injector dwell time increases allowing more fuel... at idle the injectors may not be all they should be

That the idle of the engine isnt affected when plugs are pulled from one side of the engine is wierd....
iiibdsiil
I took the Beru's off that I had and threw them away. One seemed kinda frayed, and the car was breaking up. Put the magnecors on and it cleared everything up.

The problem is at idle, and midrange. I didn't want there to be a real problem somewhere and screw it up by jumping on it hard.

I will tap the injectors with a screwdriver or something, maybe they are sticking, I haven't ran the car in about 2 weeks.

I will also get some fuel injector cleaner.

- Brett Smith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.