Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare car purchased
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
70_914
Finally got this thing drug home tonight. 2-77 build date, 101688 miles, factory white painted bumpers and steel wheels. Factory red plaid interior. No idea how many were built this way- can't find records of ANY being built this way. Talked to a guy who used to work at the VW dealer in 1977 and he said maybe 6 came through the dealership like this as a special marketing idea to sell more cars.

I have seen some with red plaid seats, but they had black dashboards...

Porsche content is the bag in the trunk with a seat recliner lever, NOS Porsche part for my VW biggrin.gif

This thing will run before my 914 lol-2.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
cooltimes
Good find. Great example. beerchug.gif
Looks like a prototype of my favorite VW Scirocco, new and owned by me in 1980.
Mine was 5 speed. Drove it for 13 years without any problem.
MikeCool
PS Also owned other new Scirocco's from 1977 to 1985. The 85 was absolutely the WORST car I ever owned. Go figure.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
"Wild White Rabbit", or some such name.

The Cap'n
agentblr
Way cool ! I love the lipstick interior.
Gint
Nice. Don't know why this is in the sandbox. Moving to the garage!
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 11 2010, 07:10 AM) *
PS Also owned other new Scirocco's from 1977 to 1985. The 85 was absolutely the WORST car I ever owned. Go figure.
My 85 was one of the best cars I ever owned.
sixnotfour
Nice .
here is a few ideas;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...-Race-car-build
70_914
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 11 2010, 08:48 PM) *

Nice. Don't know why this is in the sandbox. Moving to the garage!
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 11 2010, 07:10 AM) *
My 85 was one of the best cars I ever owned.

Figured there was no Porsche content, kept it away from all the gripey people...

Thanks!
70_914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 11 2010, 08:58 PM) *

That is WAY cool. I would have to put a w16 in the middle, though!

DanT
Nice....I had a '79 diesel rabbit and then had an early GTI with the red plaid sport seats....fun little cars.
70_914
Just washed the car, new pictures! Unrestored, original, 1977... wish my 914 looked this good. It is now running and driving. Got a new muffler that I need to put on it, need to adjust the rear brakes, it is done by the weekend!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

$2000 and it could be yours biggrin.gif
DanT
nice...
I had an '83 GTI just like this one....wish I still had it sad.gif smile.gif
70_914
QUOTE(DanT @ Aug 11 2010, 09:51 PM) *

nice...
I had an '83 GTI just like this one....wish I still had it sad.gif smile.gif

Yeah, one of my Rabbits was a 1984 GTI. Black with the blue interior. Great car. Last rabbit was a Panama brown 1978. It was mean, and I would use it to troll for RX7's and Hondas!

IPB Image

It is stripped down and for sale on Craigslist mad.gif
Andyrew
So cool!!! I'd swap my Crx for a nice one of those in a heartbeat!
Vysoc
What's up with the Automatic Transmission?
I had a 1976 2 Door Poop Brown with Tan vinyl interior, bare bones Rabbit, great mileage, great gearing, good handling. I loved that car.
It had a switch that started the cooling fan located underneath the battery, the battery would drip on to the switch, the wire would corrode and the fan would not turn on.....and the car would overheat. I also had a 1980 Rabbit with the square headlights. The day I sold it the guy who bought it brought a friend, he test drove the car and I remember him saying these cars have syncromesh gears watch, you can shift without using the clutch. After that test drive, he damn sure did buy the car!! That was my last Rabbit, but I always wanted a GTI or a Scirocco.

Vysoc
pete-stevers
Good find ...round headlight rabbits are getting tougher and tougher to find in rust free condition.
There is so much one can do with them
I have a 79 silver hare in stock form with a 1.6,4spd 100,000kms on it
with red interior.
before buying my 914 i had a 84 gti with a hyped up 2.0 ...that was fast happy11.gif
(not so sure what i would do with an automatic tho)
thomasotten
My first car was a 78 beige VW Rabbit Diesel with over 100K. I upgraded it to the factory plastic hubcaps. Little 13" or 14" wheels, I can't remember. The seats were trash by the time I got it, but the engine was still going strong. I liked the rabbits with the round headlights. Also, we had an 89 "Cabriolet" for a short time as well.
windforfun
I have owned 5 VWs over 15 years. They all had a nice feel. Don't get me started...
Drums66
..I think you made a good buy aktion035.gif
BTW....in heavy traffic, auto is the only way to go!! idea.gif bye1.gif
70_914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 12 2010, 10:35 AM) *

..I think you made a good buy aktion035.gif
BTW....in heavy traffic, auto is the only way to go!! idea.gif bye1.gif

Yeah, I agree. My daily driver up to this point had been a 91 SHO with a Centerforce clutch- very frustrating to drive in traffic!
70_914
Got the new muffler on today and took it out for a drive. Not a race car for sure, but is not as doggy as I thought! 155/13's don't ride so bad either. Now I need to detail it up and sell it to fund the 914. biggrin.gif

That black thing in the corner is vinyl covered cardboard.
IPB Image
Just in case you can't figure out how to operate the back seat...
IPB Image
33 year old spare tire wells never looked better (unrestored)
IPB Image
Original belts still nice and black, great shape.
IPB Image
Most of my other Rabbits did not have headliners, let alone one in this kind of shape! Just needs a little scrubbing...
IPB Image
ripper911
Nice!

I've been thinking about another '78 scirocco myself, I sold the last one I had for $200

But, alas, it does not fit my criteria.
Air-Cooled, german, old, engine behind me.

But I think the scirocco weighed something like 1850 lbs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.