Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got to "test drive" my car, WooHoo!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
OK, some of you may recall the rear wheel bearing issues I was having. (Went thru 3 of them - maybe more, I forget - in an extremely short period).

Turns out that the culprit was actually the hub. Early 911 hub was machined down about 3mm years ago for some kind of larger brake setup, maybe a Vellios kit (?) for Carrera or 930 brakes in the back of an early 911 or 5-lugged teener. Anyways, the guys at the shop pulled this hub off the shelf and put it on my car. Unless you held it up next to an unmodified early 911 or 914-6 hub, or measured it, you'd never really know it was weird.

We did also find out that the FAG bearings are slightly larger (.08mm) than the SKF's so they fit tighter; also, they're made in Germany vs. Spain or France if that matters to anybody.

Sooo, I now have a good hub, good FAG bearings, and all the other good bits on the car.

It rocks! I went for a long, fast drive up Mulholland, down Encinal Cyn to PCH, then back up Latigo Cyn to Kanan and back to Mulholland. Whew, it was tiring. The car is extremely balanced and stable now. I was doing 100+ in a few spots and it was very comfortable. Nice turn-in.

The coolest part is that on Mulholland up past the Rock Store, I came up behind a Boxster S moving at a good clip. This is an extremely twisty section. The dude let me pass at the top of the hill...
Gint
Good news Chris

Had a little rural blast home myself today. Bought $238 worth of Porsche stuff for $138 from the dealer with my PCA coupon.
Jeroen
Hey Chris,

good to hear that you solved the rear bearing issue
and even better that you're hitting the track next week
have fun!

Cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
Here's part of my test route (Mulholland between Las Virgenes & Cornell), down at the bottom of the pic. My house is near the center of the pic.
Jeroen
Good looking set of twisties!
krk
Chris,

That is impressive detective work. I've followed some of your story on the other boards, and would not have guessed this particular outcome! Thanks for posting the end of the story.

The camera shot of your neck of the woods looks like a great deal of fun!

kim.
campbellcj
QUOTE(krk @ Dec 28 2002, 04:37 PM)
Chris,

That is impressive detective work. I've followed some of your story on the other boards, and would not have guessed this particular outcome! Thanks for posting the end of the story.

The camera shot of your neck of the woods looks like a great deal of fun!

kim.

Well, the shop doing the suspension/brake work found and fixed the problem so all I really did was drive back and forth a lot rolleyes.gif They sure lost their a$$ on this job (ate a bunch of labor and several $40 bearings), but I guess these mixups happen sometimes when you have huge piles of 20+ year old used parts pulled off various wrecks and project cars.

To compound matters, there was a new guy working there at the time (not anymore!) and he made a few minor errors on my car and a few BIG ones on some other cars, one of which belonged to the boss...oops

The satellite imagery stuff is cool -- http://www.terraserver.com Hours of entertainment...
Brad Roberts
I love that satellite shot. Thanks for posting Chris. You know you will always be welcome here.

B
Curvie Roadlover
My kinda road! tongue.gif
Dead Air
Your house near the center of the pic...Is it the white rach with blue shutters or the beige cape with an RV?
boxstr
No his is the one next to the one you see sliding down the hillside.
CCLINRAINRAIN

Howard
Chris, great news. You have worked long and hard on this. See you up there soon. Shameless plug....

Stop posting clues to route for WCC poker run. We're using Mulholland biggrin.gif

drew365
Chris is probably living in his car in the parking lot at work, since most of the roads around his house are washed out. This thread sure got dug up from the grave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.