Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am i just too hard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
I drive the crap out of my 914. Use it as a commuter most of the time now. Took a back road the other day, and almost beat my best time. Twisties are just too much for me to pass up biggrin.gif

All that, my front wheel bearings are loose again. These are new bearings with new rotors, and good quality bearings, not the flaps plastic retainer ones. I put them on about 4K ago, and checked them last night to find them loose. Old bearings came loose more than once. The locking washer is in place, and the locking screw on the nut is tight. Is this normal?
orange914
it's not an uncommon thing to NOT totally seat the new races completely. the bearing seat slowly seats therefore bearings "loosen up" until races fully install themself
underthetire
Thanks, I hope thats it. Gonna tighten them in the morning and probably head to Tahoe. Think if i leave at 6 on saturday I can still make the breakfast.
jsayre914
sorry i dont know aything about berrings confused24.gif

But it is awesome, your driving the crap out of your car. biggrin.gif Me too, when i can keep it up. every day is an adventure when your driving your teener driving.gif
ripper911
Woo hoo, Drive your car!

I drive mine to work and back daily, even with a bad clutch. aktion035.gif

I get the feeling I'm pushing my car too hard in this heat, but thats what its made for!

Theres nothing like driving to work with the top off to get you in a better mood for the day. biggrin.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 11 2010, 07:50 PM) *
Is this normal?

No.

Paul did a good writeup on the cause of this. It usually happens when the old bearings are forced out of the hub.

Do a search here, he's got plenty of pics illustrating where the problem is and what to do about it.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: It appears i have the same problem. I tightened the front bearings maybe 3 month ago or so and now they are lose again.
Time to take the hubs off and fix them ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.