Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT, oil pres, etc.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bugsy0
I just acquired oil pressure, oil temp and cht gauges and am wondering how others have wired them. Do you pass the wires through the tunnel? It looks nearly impossible to pull them through the original rubber sheath with the main harness and I'd rather not drill holes in the firewall.

thanks,
Tom
VaccaRabite
It is not that hard to work the wires through the existing wire loom grommet. Double the wire over a thin blunt rod (I use a screw driver) and push it through into the tunnel. Once started, you can push the wire from behind a little. Then go the the cabin and open up the access hole at the back of the tunnel. You can pull the rest of the wire up that way. its not hard, but a little tedious.

Zach
Grelber
+1 to Zach. That's what I did with mine.
bugsy0
OK great - I hadn't tried - it just looked hard so I wimped out and thought I'd ask. Thanks!
tradisrad
there was a hole in my fire wall into the tunnel so I made a armored wiring harness. I shoved my wires through some fuel hose and then into my firewall. I like the way it came out, however I did not run enough wires. I ran them for a CHT, oil pressure, and oil temp, but I added an external oil cooler and put an LED in my oil temp gauge to indicate when the cooler fan was on. Moral: Add more wires than you think you're going to need.

Click to view attachment
bugsy0
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Aug 12 2010, 01:28 PM) *

Moral: Add more wires than you think you're going to need.

Good point. In fact I'm considering an external oil cooler but would rather avoid it. Outside temps in MT rarely exceed 90F and are almost always below 80F. Motor is a Raby 2270. I might run an extra wire just in case.
realred914
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Aug 12 2010, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Aug 12 2010, 01:28 PM) *

Moral: Add more wires than you think you're going to need.

Good point. In fact I'm considering an external oil cooler but would rather avoid it. Outside temps in MT rarely exceed 90F and are almost always below 80F. Motor is a Raby 2270. I might run an extra wire just in case.

drill a hole, and sleave a bunch of wires (you may want to add stuff in future, extra temp gages, fans, etc.... use a sleeve , tape teh wires togtehr and sleeve them outside of car, tehn run teh hole sleeved bundle at once thru the tunnel, use grommetns on teh holes it passes thru.

90F ambient is not too cold to prevent too hot oil, so use care, make sure you have a calibrated oil temp gage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.