Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB older CA dealer license plate frames
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Memorabilia
bembry
Looking for old dealership license plate frame(s) from California from the 70s. Combo VW/Porsche dealerships, Audi/Porsche dealerships, or just Porsche. Original, not repros pls, and in metal, not plastic (pot metal is fine though).

Thanks in advance! piratenanner.gif
ArtechnikA
A little bump for you since I'm looking for something similar.

Looking for a "Balboa Datsun" (San Diego) plate frame. They were the first Datsun dealer in the US, I believe.

Same criteria for my search - original, metal.

Just need one.
Tom_T
Brent,

FYI - IIRC by the time the 914's came out in 69/70, all of the US dealerships had changed to "Porsche+Audi" - with the base VW dealership that used to sell the Porsches on the same sales floor alongside the VWs before that, now becoming a stand-alone & separate dealership. Some VW dealerships which used to sell Porsches, refused to pay the bucks to build & open a separate Porsche+Audi dealership - so they lost their Porsche franchise as a result. Ergo, you'll probably want to stay away from VW only dealership frames.

So you'll want a frame which is either "Porsche+Audi" or lists the "twin dealerships" in some way separately as "Porsche+Audi" & "Volkswagen" on the frame.

I just saw the old Chick Iverson parts VW Bus restored at the local VW Jamboree (now it's Newport Porsche under the Power Automotive banner), which showed the dual logos nicely but can't recall if they were over-under or side-by-side? Didn't take a pic either! sad.gif

Go to the Porsche dealer locator online & enter in a zip for SoCal & NoCal, then try calling the dealers, cuz sometimes they may have old vintage ones used or nos on hand to sell, or may still be using the same design today. They may also know of customers with old frames that they'd like to sell also. ... worth a try to a few dealers any-hoo!

Rich, I grew up 6th - 12th grade in San Diego, knew Balboa Datsun well, & had an HS buddy who worked there - but had never heard it was the 1st in the USA. ... very interesting tid bit!
> Same applies to try calling them, if you haven't tried that yet.

I don't need a vintage dealer frame, but need to reproduce my 70's pot metal frames with "It Takes Leather Balls To Play Rugby" on them, biggrin.gif
.... cuz the paint shop who did my 85 BMW 325e a couple of years ago broke my last intact one! mad.gif

BTW - we did use leather - not vinyl - balls back then, & it loses something with "Vinyl" in that slogan today! shades.gif
... it would sound like someone doesn't know how to use a condom properly or who had some sort of odd scrotal transplant, etc.!! lol-2.gif
boxstr
I have several Lic plate frames. $35. each.
plus shipping.
Craig at CAMP
bembry
Craig--thanks for the reply! I never saw it for some reason though until now.

Anyway, an update: I finally found out what the Porsche dealership was in my hometown (Bakersfield, CA) when my 914 was new:

Columbus Porsche Audi Subaru (at 1919 Columbus St. for the B-field folks)

It had recently been renamed after a change of ownership I believe. Just prior, it was Leo Meek Porsche Audi

I'm interested in either dealership name.
bembry
Still Looking!

Columbus Porsche Audi Subaru of Bakersfield
Leo Meek Porsche Audi VW of Bakersfield

License plate frames, or leads/suggestions even....
pete000
Any one ever see a plate frame form Wilmington Porsche in CA???
JeffBowlsby
Here are a few more...

The Iverson is on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

jim_hoyland
I saw a car at Cars & Coffee this am with the new Chick Iverson license plate frame. Three things stood out: 1. The Yellow is too bright 2. The Chrome is too shiney, and 3. The edges are square instead of rounded. On the plus side, the lettering and logos are excellent, and the color background is not just an inset piece of plastic-like some of the repos
smile.gif
jim_hoyland
For reference, here's a older Chick Iverson frame...
JeffBowlsby
Many vintage Porsche-Audi license plate frames on ebay right now...

Sort on: 'license frame porsche audi'

No affiliation just passing this on...
jim_hoyland
Thanks Jeff... smile.gif
Michael N
Here is another version of a Chick Iverson plate for reference.

Click to view attachment

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jan 3 2011, 09:09 PM) *

Here is another version of a Chick Iverson plate for reference.

Click to view attachment

smile.gif smile.gif Nice ! smile.gif smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Still looking for the Circle Motors frames... smile.gif
bembry
Still looing specifically for Columbus Porsche Audi (and sometime Subaru) of Bakersfield. Anyone???

--Also, anyone heard any updates on the CA dealer plate program allowing the blue plates?
tod914
Tod - Victoria Motors - Victorville CA and.or Volkswagen - Warden
Bembry - Columbus Porsche Audi (and sometime Subaru) Bakersfield
Jim - Circle Motors
Pete - Wilmington Porsche - CA
Art - Balboa Datsun

I'll pm you guys the adv. if they come up in my searches.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bembry @ Jan 27 2011, 05:01 PM) *

Still looing specifically for Columbus Porsche Audi (and sometime Subaru) of Bakersfield. Anyone???

--Also, anyone heard any updates on the CA dealer plate program allowing the blue plates?

I can't speak to the CA dealer program; but I have heard that some people have had their newer plate numbers reproduced onto blue plates. There are several vendors of vintage plates for just about every state and era. Several years ago, I had to replace my from blue plate; I bought one from one of those vendors. The size, materail, and colors are perfect. Think it may have cost $40 + or -

Try: http://www.licenseplates.tv/license-plates...dg9ctebdn579qm1
jim_hoyland
Found this on the Pelican board...ouch !

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ate-frames.html
LAJOLLA52
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 12 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Looking for old dealership license plate frame(s) from California from the 70s. Combo VW/Porsche dealerships, Audi/Porsche dealerships, or just Porsche. Original, not repros pls, and in metal, not plastic (pot metal is fine though).

Do you know the name of the VW/Porsche dealership that used to be in San Juan Capistrano? They used to have a racing team in the SCCA circuit.
LAJOLLA52
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 16 2010, 09:23 AM) *

Anyway, an update: I finally found out what the Porsche dealership was in my hometown (Bakersfield, CA) when my 914 was new:

It had recently been renamed after a change of ownership I believe. Just prior, it was Leo Meek Porsche Audi

I used to work for Columbus Porsche Audi Subaru in the 1980's.
bembry
QUOTE(LAJOLLA52 @ Feb 17 2011, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 16 2010, 09:23 AM) *

I used to work for Columbus Porsche Audi Subaru in the 1980's.

Hey--that's cool! I used to come by and drool at the cars around then (I was a teenager at that time). You don't have a frame from them, do you? beerchug.gif

My car wasn't sold there--it is a San Jose-area 914, but I'm a Bakersfield boy, hence the desire for that plate frame.

Sorry--I don't know the name of the San Juan Cap. dealership. I'm sure one of the SoCal guys does though.
jim_hoyland
I can' remember the name of the SJC dealer right now, but I recall seeing the dealer frames on Ebay or Samba recently. I used to go there too... smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Carousel Frame on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

JeffBowlsby
Taylor Frame on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALLEJO-NOS...=item19c04ab57e

jim_hoyland
Saw these at the Porsche Show and Swapmeet Sunday in Anaheim:

tod914
Thinking finding my Victorville frames are a needle in the haystack.. I picked up these in the interm. Still new in the wrapper Keep on Truckin frames from the 60s-70s. The guy also has Peace, and Love ones from the 70s if anyone is interested.

Click to view attachment

bembry
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 8 2011, 11:28 AM) *

Thinking finding my Victorville frames are a needle in the haystack.. I picked up these in the interm. Still new in the wrapper Keep on Truckin frames from the 60s-70s. The guy also has Peace, and Love ones from the 70s if anyone is interested.

Click to view attachment

that's cool! You know who is really into these?? The VW guys. They are really into the nostalgia frames. They even get desireable frames restored for $150-ish (replate the old pot metal, and paint the enameled part).
What's surprising to me is that I don't see a lot of interest for classic American car guys doing this. Maybe I'm just missing it confused24.gif Anyway, I'm stocking up on them too--found plate frames for my 63 Dodge from my hometown, and on the hunt for my 63 Ford, along with one for my 914 of course. cheer.gif
pete000
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 7 2011, 07:45 PM) *

Saw these at the Porsche Show and Swapmeet Sunday in Anaheim:

Expensive !
tod914
I looked into restoring frames, one guy out in Cali whom was recommended on the Samba site, wanted $90.00 per frame to rechrome. Paul's out in PA wanted $250.00 per. That's why I jumped at a pair of nos ones. I'm sure the muscle car guys won't be too far behind.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 8 2011, 10:28 AM) *

...finding my Victorville frames are a needle in the haystack..
is

This is what they should look like Tod:

jim_hoyland
This Rector frame has been on Ebay for a while:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

tod914
Wrecked Her ... sounds like a bad karma plate. Thanks Jeff, hard one to find.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(LAJOLLA52 @ Feb 17 2011, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 12 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Do you know the name of the VW/Porsche dealership that used to be in San Juan Capistrano? They used to have a racing team in the SCCA circuit.

Dealer was Bill Yates:

Also see: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...&start=1280
Nov 10 post
jim_hoyland
Found a list of original dealers posted by Jeff Bowsby.
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110317

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.