Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New York 22k Miles 914 2.0L on Samba?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
avidfanjpl
This seems too good to be true, and it is too far away for me to check it out, but someone here may know this car?

22K miles. WOW!

John

http://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/de....php?id=1008584
carr914
No objections to the price from me. I would think we all would like to see our cars go for more $$$.
Tom_T
agree.gif with TC

John - if the mileage is accurate & the condition is as advertised, then it certainly seems within the market range per both NADA & Excellence -

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...92867&da=-1

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

Trouble is, you won't really know what you've got until & unless your have a good mechanic check it over & you start pulling everything off & digging deep into the nooks-n-crannies! dry.gif

But if it were the expected quality for a 22.5k mi 37-38 year old 914, then it's probably a good price! smile.gif
miketeener
I have corresponeded with the owner. I believe the milage, but i figure the car needs at least $7,500.00 maybe more to get her up to the level that most of our 100,000+mile 914's are already in. Be prepared for brakes, tires, shocks, all gas, vacum lines, seals, major detailing and top quality paint repair. Is it worth $23,000? Boy you can buy one kick as... 914-6 conversion for that price these days. just my opinion. It would still be a nice addition to the collection idea.gif
Black22
Did anyone else notice the oil spots all around the car??? confused24.gif I'd rather pay a little more for a six conversion.
carr914
QUOTE(miketeener @ Aug 13 2010, 08:52 PM) *

I have corresponeded with the owner. I believe the milage, but i figure the car needs at least $7,500.00 maybe more to get her up to the level that most of our 100,000+mile 914's are already in. Be prepared for brakes, tires, shocks, all gas, vacum lines, seals, major detailing and top quality paint repair. Is it worth $23,000? Boy you can buy one kick as... 914-6 conversion for that price these days. just my opinion. It would still be a nice addition to the collection idea.gif

I don't think you can buy any 35 year old car and not expect to spend some money. Obviously I haven't seen it, but I wouldn't repaint a 22K mile car. A good detailer could probably bring it around.

I agree on all the lines, but I would replace the gas lines on any car anyway with the Tangerine set.

a car only has 22K miles once in it's lifetime.
tat2dphreak
a car only has 22K miles once in it's lifetime.

agree.gif

if you want an all original, low-milage car... yes it will cost some to get it up to where it needs to be for safe driving... I think the estimate would be closer to 5000 though. but even using the 7500 estimate... for a total price of 23000, you would have a perfect, all-original, extremely low milage, probably concourse-ready car! sounds like a good deal to me if I had the cash.
avidfanjpl
I agree with Mike Teener. Even a nice driver like I think I got needs several $K to bring up to snuff nowadays.

Since I am stupid and want a 6 conversion, I am looking hard for one, but can wait a year or two.

I paid 13k for my 2L, and will have put 3k of replacement everthing you could imagine as of this coming Saturday culminating with a Bowlsby Harness order with boots on this coming Saturday, and about 1k in trim exterior parts and maybe a set of extra mags for some AX tires. I bought everthing not nailed down to clean up a car that was not terrible. 750 in cleaning the undercarriage and wheel wells was totally worth it.

If I spend 15-20k more on a conversion 6, it will be for something like that red 1974 914-6 conversion on eBay tonight starting at 18k, but I AM NOT BUYING A CAR OFF OF EBAY.

But, I am in no rush, and the economy is still in the tank and descending as we play around on this wonderful home away from home.

I just have to admit I will be picky, and will keep looking for that 6 that makes me lose sleep. A conversion can be a wonderful thing. The 4 will stay in the garage, but the 6 will be the one burning through tires and brakes.

I have made my decision. Acting is the part I will not do in haste.

Although I have a secret love for Jeff B's Creamsicle he did the poll on.

John
RFoulds
Why will it need all that work? Has it been sitting in storage. unused??

tod914
Seen some detailed shots of it as well. Appears that it was stored in a typical damp NY State garage. Nothing bad, but you kind of see that there is some very minor surface stuff. Battery tray area and shelf need to get refinished. Tried to help him with his vaccume lines, they were abit messed up. Probally would need to replace the fuel & brake lines. Maybe a minor engine reseal and a major detail. Could be a very nice car with some work. Not sure how much the engine drop/reseal & repaint of that tray area would run, but that I think would be the bulk of the expense. Maybe shocks & bushings.. don't know.
miketeener
The pics I saw were not high resolution, but it certainly looked like the hood and trunk need to be painted. While it only has 22K on it, I don't think the car was babied, cleaned, waxed, tuned and vacumed fanaticaly like most of us take car our our 914s. IMHO its not a museum piece. I highly recommed anyone to inspect it in person to make sure they know what they are getting..Don't base your purchase soley on that low mileage..
boxstr
Sorrry those dont look like oil spots all around the car. More like water from being washed.
Anyway. The car is a buy. With that kind of mileage it is well worh it.
I sold a 55K mile 914-4 for much more.
Well bough to whom ever gets this one.
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.