Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm coming out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
Ok so I have a confession cool.gif . I am not really a DIY kinda guy ohmy.gif . For instance I just picked up my car from the good folks at HPH smilie_pokal.gif . I had them do:
1. Koni Yellows front and back
2. 100# rear springs
While they were in there they discovered many "issues" headbang.gif and recommended lotsa fixe sawzall-smiley.gif s, and at this time I opted to have them:
1. Replace tranny mounts with "sport mounts" clap56.gif (sounds vaguely sexual)
2. New ball joints clap56.gif (definitely sexual)
I am having them do tranny rebuild and a Raby/Brad pray.gif 2056 (I think?) on a core I sent them so I will postphone the other recommendations:
1. braided brake lines smilie_rolli_1.gif
2. Tie rod ends
3. Speedo cable replace
4. Tranny seal repair

I understand that these were "comfort" mods driving.gif as opposed to performance mods MDB2.gif . She rode home from Redwood City to the east bay smooth as buttah and crying for re-power smlove2.gif ! Was happy to write the check to HPH smlove2.gif and looking forward to having the motor tranny combo installed SOON and to join y'all on the asphalt at the old Naval Air Station tarmac! Does this make me a bad person unsure.gif ? I have a lot of admiration for those who pound sawzall-smiley.gif and cajole welder.gif these little cars into shape totally on your own and feel lucky to be able to afford to pay the pros to dress mine up drunk.gif !
TROJANMAN
agree.gif story of my life (or at least the life of my 914)
Porsche Rescue
We love you still. This group is all about enjoying 914's. That often can be better done if you don't have to work on 'em!
ppickerell
What I also wanted to convey for those of us lucky to be in the SF bay area is thanks to Rich and Brad and HPH. What a resource! Other shops would groan when I drove up in my 914. These guys are smart enough to write up the work order and call a couple of days later to let me know the car is ready to pick up.
ppickerell
I tried folks, I am 6ft4 and pushing hard on 240#'s and I have problems stuffing my large ass frame into the engine compartment and underneath the car. I figure if Rich and Brad don't go into the medical device business, I will let them have the 914 market.
Britain Smith
We look forward to seeing you at the autocross events. The event this last weekend was my first one in a 914 and I had a blast.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
You have a good solid tub. It will be REALLY nice when we get the engine/tranny combo in place.

It is amazing when people bring in cars for the first time and I get to see everything worn out. Most people dont know what NEW feels like. They just drive around on old worn out parts. Easy to impress them when we get the green light to replace all the crap.

I wish I could send out daily warnings so people would CHECK their ball joints/tie rods/tranny mounts. I dont LOOK for things to replace on a car but nearly every single car for the last 10 have needed at least one tranny mount. I honestly dont think people even know what to look for.

Glad your happy. I'm trying real hard to get things rolling here so we can all have some fun..like we did at the AutoX.

B
Rich Bontempi
Thanks for the nice words Patrick. We appreciate people who appreciate our work! Were looking forward to making you a car you can be proud of and have a lot of fun.
Gint
You guys haven't seen a slightly rusty 914/6 tub layin around there have ya?
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 12 2004, 08:08 PM)
You guys haven't seen a slightly rusty 914/6 tub layin around there have ya?

That might have been the one I threw in the garbage this last weekend...you wouldn't want it anyway, too much rust! mueba.gif

-Britain
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Apr 12 2004, 07:21 PM)
I tried folks, I am 6ft4 and pushing hard on 240#'s and I have problems stuffing my large ass frame into the engine compartment and underneath the car. I figure if Rich and Brad don't go into the medical device business, I will let them have the 914 market.

Well ya don't have to worry much about ballast, do ya.... laugh.gif

It always amazes me on how many big and tall people have 914s and can actually FIT in them....
Mueller
Nothing to be ashamed of at all....heck, I'd have a running car if I was smart enough to let someone else work on it smile.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 12 2004, 09:37 PM)

It always amazes me on how many big and tall people have 914s and can actually FIT in them....

Mike, that falls under the heading...
"if you want something bad enough........."
Or,
"this is gonna hurt but I don't give a shit"! laugh.gif

If I had the means to have the work done I certainly wouldn't be crawl'n around on the shop floor wishin' my bones would quit hurtin everytime I had to get up to get a tool. gawdam concrete floor is hard on da knees givemebeer.gif

..........b
campbellcj
Bruce...I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who is sore & tired after a weekend of dicking with the 914. I thought it was just the old-timer's disease kicking in.

After hanging upside down from the rollcage cutting and drilling metal, or squirming around on the concrete under the car, I am beat! smash.gif

The wife says it's because I'm "too out of shape" idea.gif aw, what the heck does she know? givemebeer.gif
Brad Roberts
MikeG. Your tub was last seen heading north on a flatbed.

B
mike_the_man
Hey Brad,

What do worn out tranny mounts look like? Just cracked, or is there something special to look for? I don't think I've checked mine yet (please don't hate me), but I'll check em tonight.
aircooledboy
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Apr 13 2004, 09:04 AM)
Hey Brad,

What do worn out tranny mounts look like?  Just cracked, or is there something special to look for?  I don't think I've checked mine yet (please don't hate me), but I'll check em tonight.

agree.gif What he said. What DO you look for???
mikey
Your tub was last seen heading north on a flatbed.
                B

Any sign of a tub heading south on a flatbed?

Mikey
Qarl
Aren't you glad that you finally came out?!?

IPB Image

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!
Joe Bob
My sphincter aches just looking at THAT....yeesch... bootyshake.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 12 2004, 08:01 PM)
early every single car for the last 10 have needed at least one tranny mount.

I have a couple of extra tranny mounts, slightly used, and was going to try an old "stock car trick" on them. I was thinking of filling the voids with RTV silicone to stiffen them up. Has anyone tried this? Will it buy you any time until new ones come in?
I don't even have my car on the road yet but I am always trying to think of ways to improve it.
Brad Roberts
I throw them away.. so I *might* or might not have one for pics.

I have seen people fill them in with a hardening clear epoxy to stiffen them up.

Let me check my archives of pics.

B
tracks914
With the mounts out of the car, is there a good way to test them? I was thinking of putting a rod through one with it in a vise and wiggle it around but without have a brand new one to compare it with.......? idea.gif
Andyrew
Cracks.. Thats what I looked for. Any cracks and their gone. Check your motor mounts as well. Mine where ok, but I replaced them anyways, its all insurance..

Andrew
klink
I have been a DIY guy most of my life. I bought a '72 914 off the showroom floor and proceeded to build the engine as big as I could go at the time. After grenading the trans I rebuilt that. When you are young you have no fear as long as you have some kind of manual to show you the way. I would not take any of my vehicles to any garage to work on. Whatever it was I would fix it. Rebuilt motors, trans, rear ends, whatever. As I got older I grew tired of this for the daily drivers. I got to a point where I would not touch anything. Take it to the dealer. (What a rip-off). I picked up the 914 about a year ago and have had a ball with it. Feels good to turn the wrenches again. Nothing wrong with letting a reputable garage do the work. Depends on where you are in life. Afterall the fun is in the driving. I believe this and one other forum gives you the confidence to dig into it yourself. Venture out and do what you can and leave the stuff that is beyond you to the professionals. There are some really good people here that can help you through just about anythig.
Gint
Welcome to the board klink! Post some pics of your 914!
klink
Hi Mike. Thanks for the welcome. Here is a not too recent picture of our project. Made some improvements since then. New lenses and an early style front bumper. Not to mention a 2.2L six sitting in the garage awaiting conversion parts. Having problems attaching the picture so I don't know if this will work. If it doesn't happen can you give us some help on this. I guess that's why they call us 'newbies'.
Gint
You did just fine. Nice car! Go to the top of the Tech Forum page and post some more pics in the Members 914 pictures thread. There's quite a collection there and you might as join in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.