Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot starting Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael8345
Hello, My 1.8 1974 will not engage the starter when it get good and warm. I bypaased the relay board and the strter kicks in. I replaced the starter and relay board and still have problems when its been driven for a while. ANy ideas? Thanks
76-914
QUOTE(michael8345 @ Aug 13 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Hello, My 1.8 1974 will not engage the starter when it get good and warm. I bypaased the relay board and the strter kicks in. I replaced the starter and relay board and still have problems when its been driven for a while. ANy ideas? Thanks

A common problem that was just discussed here in the past 2-3 wqeeks. Do a search on the "notorious hot start problem". You'll find there are 2 opinions to chose between. Either one works.

EDIT: oh BTW, welcome.png
Greenguy

I feel your pain, I also have a 74 1.8 that I purchased 5 years ago and have experienced the hot start problem from day one. I live in Clovis CA where it’s really hot in the summer and there aren’t a lot of hills in town to help in getting it started again. I have done everything that has been suggested on this board to fix the problem, but to no avail…drive the car for two hours and no start. On one of its non starting moments I happened upon an old Porsche mechanic in Medford Oregon who stated that the quickest and best fix was to use a Ford starter solenoid, I cringed at the thought of that and went on my merry way. That was four years ago and as I said I was still battling the hot start issue. The reason that I say that I was battling this issue is that I think that I’ve finally got it fixed. A friend of mine, who is a professional mechanic, said that Chevy six cylinders used to have the same problem and the best fix was to install a Ford starter solenoid. I finally gave in and went to Autozone and paid $12.00 for a Ford solenoid. I mounted the solenoid on my brand new Bosch premium 911 starter, which took about 15 min……and what do you know, it’s been about two weeks now and not one hot start problem. I’ve read several comments on this board regarding the Ford solenoid fix, some say it’s a Band-Aid fix, and others say that it is a legitimate solution. All that I can say is that its awful nice not to have to offer someone a couple of bucks to help me push start the stupid thing. I can post pics if you need them

Greg

realred914
if its teh solinoid, you can try to rebuoild, the plunger can get dirty / rusty and stick, the contacts inside can be corroded. this will make starting hard, the heat may cuase the soliniod to stick worse.

try to clean it up, and lube, then be sure to use a sealant ont eh seams, same for the starter, they have to be sealed to be water proof, water ingress is a soliniod killer.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Bosch makes a factory hot start kit. It is in the 914 catalog.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 13 2010, 04:26 PM) *

A common problem that was just discussed here in the past 2-3 wqeeks. Do a search on the "notorious hot start problem". You'll find there are 2 opinions to chose between. Either one works.

Black22
This is the first I've heard of the Ford solenoid fix. I have a 74 1.8L that does this as well. I have changed starters and solenoids and currently have a hot start relay installed and that never fixed it. Off to my FLAPS for a Ford solenoid! Thanks! For $12 I can't afford NOT to try it!
TheCabinetmaker
Ford solenoid trick has been used for years and works quite well. The bosch hot start kit does not work (in my experience). I had a car a few months ago that had the ford part on it. I bypassed it and starter would not work. Removed motor for something else and cleaned all grounds and starter connections while the engine was out. Now it works everytime without the ford solenoid.
underthetire
Removed my "hot start" band aid after putting in a new starter. Just got back from Tahoe today, 200 miles each way, from sea level to 7K feet. No starting issues at all. IMHO the relay is a patch for another problem.
Tom
The relay is a fix for a poorly designed start circuit. The 914's have a solenoid that draws about 10 amps initally. A lot of current for such a long circuit also with so many connections.
A refreshed circuit with all good connections will work fine, but one with any bad connection will stop working properly simply because the circuit is only as good as the worst connection.
Why do you think bosch came out with a remote relay? Right- a fix for a poor design.
Tom
76-914
I'm happier than a two petered bully goat with mine. agree.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I bolted mine up using the starter mount. dry.gif
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Every aircooled I own (and have owned) has a ford solenoid since the 80's, I don't care what other peeps say.
Gene Berg has been selling the same solenoid in his hot start kit since the 60's.
I never cut factory wires and the bosch relay is a limp dick.

underthetire, one trip proves nothing, we'll see.
underthetire
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Every aircooled I own (and have owned) has a ford solenoid since the 80's, I don't care what other peeps say.
Gene Berg has been selling the same solenoid in his hot start kit since the 60's.
I never cut factory wires and the bosch relay is a limp dick.

underthetire, one trip proves nothing, we'll see.

Not one trip. At least 10K miles on it now. I drive it to work almost every day. All i'm saying is they worked from the factory...

And my family has owned at least 30 air cooled cars. Not one needed a hot start relay ever.
michael8345
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. This is a new problem for me. Mine has 61,000 miles on it now, and never had the "notorious hot start problem" before.

With the Ford solenoid; it is mounted to the staeter? and then use the Porsche wiring rerouted?

I think the main problem it too long of winters in Minnesota while the poor car sits in the unheated garage!!!!

What about the tranny to chasis ground conection?
Bartlett 914
The ignition switch was the source of my hot start problem. The ford solenoid is ugly but works. I used another relay. I think this relay removes a strain from the ignition switch. Even though the ignition switch fixed my problem, I left the relay installed as a precaution.
dank
If the car turns over (cranks), but doesn't start, does that rule out it being a hot start issue? It was 97 in Seattle yesterday and it wouldn't start again until it cooled down, and I'm trying to determine whether it's a hot-start issue or fuel related (vapor lock?)

Don't mean to thread-jack but could use the quick confirmation.
Drums66
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 14 2010, 08:56 AM) *

Bosch makes a factory hot start kit. It is in the 914 catalog.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 13 2010, 04:26 PM) *

clean all your grounds & corrosion..and do what George said thumb3d.gif.....and it's on!!!
Greenguy
It seems to me that 74 and 75 1.8's seem to have the bulk of the hot start issues. To my knowledge the 1.8 is the only engine with the double relay; does anyone know if that relay could contribute to the hot start problem. The reason that I ask is that on several occasions I was able to get mine started after tapping on the double relay.....which seemed weird but whatever works, works. The only problem was that it didn't work all of the time.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dank @ Aug 16 2010, 02:35 PM) *

If the car turns over (cranks), but doesn't start, does that rule out it being a hot start issue? It was 97 in Seattle yesterday and it wouldn't start again until it cooled down, and I'm trying to determine whether it's a hot-start issue or fuel related (vapor lock?)

Don't mean to thread-jack but could use the quick confirmation.

No, that's vapor lock or something with the ignition.
Hot start is a single click or nothing at all, the starter does not turn over.

Greenguy, yes my teen was a 74 1.8, but it was Ljet then SDS FI (no double relay) and I had the same issue. I've seen the same issue on bugs, busses, type3's, early rabbits...
michael8345
QUOTE(Greenguy @ Aug 16 2010, 02:14 PM) *

It seems to me that 74 and 75 1.8's seem to have the bulk of the hot start issues. To my knowledge the 1.8 is the only engine with the double relay; does anyone know if that relay could contribute to the hot start problem. The reason that I ask is that on several occasions I was able to get mine started after tapping on the double relay.....which seemed weird but whatever works, works. The only problem was that it didn't work all of the time.

So where is the relay you tap? I would like to try that. I thought about a jump wire and switch from the back of the relay board (yellow wire) that goes to the starter solenoid> Anyone ever try that, or am I going to arc out something else doing that?
dank
Thanks Mark.

Tom: thanks for the PM

Mine's a '73 2.0, FI, no mods. I'll try the 'putting the gas pedal to the floor' per Brad Ander's recommendation the next time it comes up.

All this thread's talk about the hot start issue makes me wonder if I should install the Ford solenoid as a preventive measure...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.