Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 front pan replaced! Does this look ok?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
just looking for a little guidence to see if this looks like an ok repair for the front pan/suspension support on a 911. What do you think. I am thinking of buying this car and thus the concern.

jonathan
scotty b
Half assed repair using whatever sheetmetal someone had lying around. Aproper replacement panel runs abour 250.00 and should be indestinguishable when done by a reputable shop. I would give this " repair " a serious round with a hammer before dropping any coin on the car. FWIW I get 1800 + parts to do the job, and my rate is pretty cheap compared to Ca. IMO any shop in Ca that tells you anything cheaper should probably be avoided. This is one I did a few months ago using the panels from Restoration design.

charliew
Are you asking if it looks professional or will it do? It is a obvious repair and the welds are sorta rough but it is the bottom of a daily driver right? Once it gets dirty the only ones to see it is a mechanic or a tire shop. Whats the top side look like? Are the welds sanded down any and any smoother?
McMark
Take some measurements from the 914 factory manuals and check the dimensions. If it's setup correctly, looks solid and if the price on the car reflects that nastyness (i.e. cheaper) then you could be okay. If it were me, I'd either walk away or plan on redoing it. Consider that if you ever go to sell it, you're going to have to be on the other side of this discussion and you may get people who are much much pickier.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2010, 07:14 PM) *

...I get 1800 + parts to do the job, and my rate is pretty cheap...

We should talk about this at the BBQ.
I should have this done on my '71 but I need to research what the factory RSR cars had. I know the battery boxes were deleted to make room for brake ducting but I don't know what else. If I'm going to drag the car down there, there are a few things that should probably be done too.

How about rear torsion tubes - you checked out on that procedure?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I totally agree. This MUST be redone with the two replacement parts the pan and the gas tank support We use the Tasker parts and they are even cheaper but nice.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2010, 04:14 PM) *

Half assed repair using whatever sheetmetal someone had lying around. Aproper replacement panel runs abour 250.00 and should be indestinguishable when done by a reputable shop. I would give this " repair " a serious round with a hammer before dropping any coin on the car. FWIW I get 1800 + parts to do the job, and my rate is pretty cheap compared to Ca. IMO any shop in Ca that tells you anything cheaper should probably be avoided. This is one I did a few months ago using the panels from Restoration design.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.